FedEx and UAV's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Newpilot2b

Fred Smith would love to have pilotless aircraft, and he has been quoted as saying so. With civilian pilotless aircraft possibly 10-20 years away what is being done to keep them off the property? Has the union addressed this in their contract? I know most people think it won't happen in their lifetime, but it could. What is being done to ensure that we still have a job in 20-30 years?

I had a fed on the jumpseat six months or so ago who was talking about the future that would be here before we knew it, and Fedex/UPS were apparently very seriously working with the FAA on UAVs.

I didn't take it for much, since fed gossip is about as reliable as flight attendant gossip, but this was a representative of the FAA discussing unmanned aircraft for freight operations.

Fred Smith would love to have pilotless aircraft, and he has been quoted as saying so. With civilian pilotless aircraft possibly 10-20 years away what is being done to keep them off the property? Has the union addressed this in their contract? I know most people think it won't happen in their lifetime, but it could. What is being done to ensure that we still have a job in 20-30 years?

I would recommend worrying about this when aircraft start crashing up instead of down. Everyone says the cargo airlines should worry about this more than the pax, but a FedEx lawn jart wieghs as much as a Delta lawn jart on my house. What kind of CEO wouldn't love a pilotless aircraft/ driverless trucks/ employeeless sort facilities ect. ect. ect... You know what would triple profits today, executiveless corporations! I worry about pilotless aircraft as much as I do executiveless corporations. I'm not saying it can't or won't happen, I'm just saying I'll be more concerned with my full Depends underwear than a V2 cargo rocket. It will only strengthen my retirement if they succeed. 1903 - 2007 to get the cockpit crew to 3 or less. 2007 - ? to get it to none? To even develop and produce the first one will take firm orders of the entire world fleet to cover R & D and certification. I am more likely to die of a manta ray attack in my career. If it does happen though I will be a billionaire from my invention of aircraft resistant roofing!:)

Just look at the accident rate of UAVs in theater attributed to pilot (operator?) error. We're a long way off from having pilotless MD-11s soaring over America.

Cabatoge first, then UAV's (joking somewhat).

No Way

After working airspace issues for UAVs both here and overseas while on active duty. I here to tell you that widespread commercial UAVs are at least 20-25 years away. I could see some on trans-pac routes and that's about it. The global air traffic system might have most of the digital know how to do it but the "political will" just isn't there because of the aforementioned reasons. The links to the ground/SATCOM control stations just aren't reliable enough.

About two weeks ago, I saw an article in a trade rag (forgive me, I can't remember which), stating that Israeli Aircraft Industries had started research on unmanned large aircraft specifically for the freight market. The article indicated the company recognizes that passengers will NEVER get onto an aircraft without somebody in the pointy end but that the freight industry could move in that direction. Clearly, the technology is not mature as indicated by the fairliy high loss rate of military UAV. Nevertheless, you have to wonder if it might happen 10 or 15 years down the road.

"What are you doing, Hal?" "My systems are functioning perfectly, Dave."

Latest resources

Back