• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flaps30

Federal Court OK's Lawsuit Against Pilots' Union,
Thwarts Union Effort to Preserve Separate Levels of Representation;
Recommends Pilots Seek Class-Action Status

June 25, Cincinnati-- Thwarting plans of the Air Line Pilots Association [ALPA] to continue using "scope" clauses of collective bargaining agreements to create a lower caste of ALPA member, a federal court permitted claims alleging that ALPA breached its duty of fair representation ["DFR"] to go forward. The decision will allow pilots at Comair, Inc., a Delta subsidiary, to make their case that ALPA maintains two levels of representation-- one for the higher-paid "mainline" pilots at such carriers as Delta, and a lower level of representation for pilots at "regional" airlines.

In a lengthy decision in Ford v. Air Line Pilots Association, International, Judge I. Leo Glasser of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York upheld the right of hundreds of Comair pilots to sue their union for working against their interests.

Although Judge Glasser dismissed a range of side claims, the main thrust of the lawsuit, dealing with the duty of fair representation, was allowed to go forward. Specifically, the claim that prevailed against ALPA's motion to dismiss was the one in which plaintiffs sought a myriad of injunctive relief to prevent ALPA from negotiating Delta collective bargaining agreements that wield economic harm upon ALPA's Comair constituency. The claim that was upheld alleges that ALPA uses the scope clause of the Delta collective bargaining agreement as a remote control device to limit flying at Comair, thus limiting the career growth and earning potential of Comair pilots. Judge Glasser's decision is believed to be the first time that a federal court has recognized that ALPA has a potential conflict of interest in representing both "mainline" and "regional" pilots.

A similar lawsuit was filed against ALPA last month by pilots at Atlantic Southeast Airlines, Inc. [ASA]. It is as yet unclear how the court's ruling will impact current bargaining between Delta and its pilots, but Captain Daniel Ford, President of the umbrella organization that is coordinating the Comair and ASA lawsuits, said the decision "ushers in a new era in union representation of pilots at so-called "regional" carriers. Ford, who heads the Regional Jet Defense Coalition, said, "ALPA is going to have to sit up and take notice that it is accountable to all its members and can no longer sacrifice its constituents at smaller carriers to appease its large carrier membership."

Judge Glasser, in a 39-page decision, wrote, "Plaintiffs have sufficiently stated a claim that ALPA breached its duty of fair representation by allegedly negotiating contracts that arbitrarily favor the Delta pilots over the Comair pilots." The Court specifically found invalid ALPA's insistence that the dispute between it and its Comair members should be relegated to the National Mediation Board, which has little if any power to address the dispute.

The Judge also permitted more than 300 additional Comair pilots to join the lawsuit, but strongly suggested that the case be converted into a class action on behalf of all Comair pilots. The Court directed the parties to address that issue within 30 days.

What a great idea! Now everyone at Comair and ASA can have the same representation as the mainline and you can be FURLOUGHED just like us. (1,310 and counting)

JMHO;) :) :cool:

CU@OSHKOSH said:
What a great idea! Now everyone at Comair and ASA can have the same representation as the mainline and you can be FURLOUGHED just like us. (1,310 and counting)

JMHO;) :) :cool:

So, the representation is different! What a surprise!:rolleyes:

Ziggy1,

I have absolutely no idea what the comparative representation is like. I was just responding to the previous post. I guess I just miss flying. Good luck.;) :) :cool:

CU@oshkosh,

Well, as you know the furloughs have stopped and the union has already filed a grievance to get back the 250 pilots furloughed for the "war emergency" that is obviously over. I hope that you will back sooner than later, and this is a good first step.

As far as the RJDC lawsuit, some things were granted--like this particular part of the lawsuit to continue, and some things were struck down by the judge. Whether or not they will win, I do not know. I know the ALPA lawyers are confident that they will not win (the RJDC)---but that is typical from any lawyer. One thing is for sure, if the RJDC guys do not like ALPA--they should leave and get some other representation. When and if they strike again their checks from the rest of us (all the ALPA members) will not be as big. Remember guys? Remember how ALL of us supported you during your strike? Oh nevermind........

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :rolleyes:

General Lee- Your statement "One thing is for sure, if the RJDC guys do not like ALPA--they should leave and get some other representation. " Why do that when a criminal fraud is being used to ruin other Alpa pilots careers. The Association is not performing there Duty of Fair Representation and the courts have so far concurred. If fair representation is stated in the Bylaws why would you fault a pilot requesting fair representation for his dues? For the good of the Association? The pilots aren't buying it and neither are the courts so far. That's the reality of the situation irregardless of what Duane, and other pompous fools babble. I gladly donate to Mr. Ford and his brave effort for justice. Mailing my donation today with a little extra for a job well done.

Conveniently missing from this "news release" were the 6 other claims by the Plaintiffs that Judge Glasser dismissed. Why was this omitted? Shouldn't all the information be posted here, or only what the RJDC would like us to see?

Sad and pathetic.....again and again and again.

Hey Catdick...(Mr 18,000 hr RJ pilot) :rolleyes:

Since when do YOU decide when "criminal fraud is being used". What a loser. Go ahead. Send ALL of your money to Mr. Ford. I'm sure he'll use it wisely.

Last edited:
CU@OSHKOSH said:
Ziggy1,

I have absolutely no idea what the comparative representation is like. I was just responding to the previous post. I guess I just miss flying. Good luck.;) :) :cool:

You gotta follow the money. OJ gets a team of top lawyers who drop their other projects for press and cash and some poor slob without cash or a big name gets a public defender with a huge case load. Where do you suppose we (regionals) fit in?

Catbird,

Why shouldn't our Alpa attorney's try to protect our careers during our own contract negotiations? Should we have to check with Comair and ASA pilots before we try to secure our own futures? We have Scope to protect our pilots, otherwise Delta would gladly sell all mainline planes and have guarunteed 100% load factors on 1000 RJ's. That is ridiculous. If you think ALPA is screwing you over, then you should leave. Do you think ALPA was NOT support you during your unsuccessful strike? They did, but LEO was not going to let you win---and we lost $250 Million in the process with another $750 million to get Comair back up to speed after the strike. ALPA was there for you, with $$$ donations, and everything else that was legal---remember Pres Bush was watching and told us (mainline) that we could NOT strike during our negotiations. Also, we weren't negotiating at the same time, and the ALPA attorneys were working on each contract seperately. We finished ours first, and it included the Scope to protect us. Then ALPA went to work on yours. I am sure ALPA has hired some big wig attorneys to fight the RJDC's, and our guys seem pretty confident, at least I hope so.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes: ;) :p

Some how I knew if i looked the general would be all over this topic like a cheap law suit... sorry couldnt resist. Well if I remember you were not even part of Delta during the strike? Could be wrong if I am I stand corrected. I do know from my experience that ALPA does not represent anyone but thier own bank account, unless you are one of the big 3 or 4. Personaly I feel CoEx, ASA, CMR, AMREagle should leave ALPA. They do not get represented and I believe we as a nation did a little grumbling around 1776 or so about that same sort of thing. As far as Delta Pilots supporting the CMR strike Im not going to go thier for the most part. Some supported us....most didnt. Why? Most people say I got mine so S45ew you! If you want to know in my opinion the next big fight? When Uncle Leo trys to spin Song off on a new certificate you will then have 8 groups fighting for flying. Mr. Lorenzo would be proud. I quess if the DALPA guys have the fortitude to strike when 20%? or so is spun off we will see if you walk the talk. Im thinking it would not last to long. 1,200 a mo. goes a lot less than 10,000 to pay the bills. I do wish DALPA the insight and integrity to beat the monster...I just think few have the ...you know.

And no I dont ever want ALPA at my biz, my in house union responds to our wishes just fine. But I dont get a cool Magazine.

Latest resources

Back