Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if you could give me some advice? My goal down the long road is to be with an International Carrier Overseas flying heavy equipment or flying nice corporate equipment like the G-V.
Right now, I have interviews coming up with regionals and a company that is interested in putting me as an FE on something like a DC-8 or B727.
The FE position is Part 121 and starting pay is about 10-15K more than an FO regional position. The down side is that upgrade time to FO is about 2 years. I'm a bit worried that my hands-on flying skills might degrade by then. What will make me more marketable in the long run? FE time or FO time at a regional. The FO Regional positions that I'm interviewing for are on a CRJ with starting pay at about $18K.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Unless the regional in question can get you in the left seat quickly (two years or less) I'd go with the FE job. You'll live a dog's life as an FO at most regionals. The FE gig may not be much better, but at least you'll be making a little more money.

Used car salesman......

With the state that this industry is in, you can't go wrong with that background.

LTG

Having F/E time on your resume is only slightly better than being unemployed...

Stick time is all that really matters. If you look at most major's applications, they don't give much credit to F/E hours. JMO.TC

IMHO, it depends on whether or not you have over 1000 hours of PIC turbine time. If you do have it, I would go where you think the quality of life would be better. If you don't have the 1000 hours of PIC time, go to the regional and tough it out until after you upgrade. I chose to go to Ryan International instead of Continental Express. I sat on the pannel of the 727 for over four years. At that time people were upgrading at Continental Express in about one year. I do not regret my choice, however I would have been more marketable if I had gone the other direction.

Job offers of any kind are golden these days. Good luck with your decision.

I was on the panel for four years (my choice) and made the upgrade to the right seat okay. Had never flown jets before, either, just turboprop convairs.

Anyhow...I'd tend to favor the heavy time if you think they will upgrade you in two years. Maybe two more years after that, you could get into the left seat. Then you'd stand out of the pack with all your time in heavies vs RJ's. Not meaning to put down RJ guys but I see heavy time as a big deal.

Take it from me

I did both the FE and Regional thing. I would go for the Regional based on they have growth instead of the FE positions decreasing. Transmeridian just retired their 727 last week.

Pud

I'd opt for whatever job that keeps your hands on the controls. With your time and experience level you need to be flying airplanes in a crew situation as much as possible. With all due respect to current FEs and all PFEs, sadly, the FE position is slowly dying. It is sad because it means that so many beautiful and majestic airplanes that use FEs are also dying.

To be completely fair, I might whistle a different tune if the upgrade time was sooner; for all he knows it might take longer than two years to upgrade.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

A lot of people are starting to realize that their carreers will probably top out in a Citation or an RJ. Those transoceanic, heavy, jobs are becoming more and more elusive, at least for this generation. If the FE job is a serious offer, and you can move to the right seat in a couple of years, I'd say take it.

Let us know how it goes.

Latest resources

Back