Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

siouxicide

Gimme yo' change
Is it possible to take the FC1 as a civilian, or better yet, without formally getting selected to fill a pilot position? If so, how? Just trying to give the unit one less thing to worry about.

siouxicide said:
Is it possible to take the FC1 as a civilian, or better yet, without formally getting selected to fill a pilot position? If so, how? Just trying to give the unit one less thing to worry about.

Yup, you can get one by getting an Air Force Reserve recruiter to set you up with it. All pilot applicants must have it before submitting their packet to the board for consideration, unlike the guard. I haven't been selected yet (hopefully soon) but I've had the FC1 for 10 months. Talk to a recruiter and get it rolling, they usually do it once a month at an Air Force base near you...good luck.

To clarify... there are two "packets" people talk about and get confused. There are also two ways to use the word "board".

One "packet" goes to your unit. The unit uses this information to determine whether or not they will interview you for a slot. The interview is sometimes referred to as an interview "board". The FC1 is not always required for this. It's up to the unit. I had the first part of my FC1 scheduled after my interview. Ask the unit whether or not they need it before the interview. If you have time, get it done. Your recruiter will be able to help you. It doesn't matter that you're a civilian--your recruiter can sponsor you on base.

Keep in mind that the paperwork for this first step is mostly unofficial (obvious exceptions include: the FC1). Some of it will go to record; some of it will simply be FYI stuff that the unit uses to figure out what kind of candidate you are.

The other "packet" goes to the board. This is the official, real deal thing. The FC1 is only one part of a mountain of paperwork that must be done before a "packet" can be considered complete and ready for board review. You will have to work with your recruiter and your unit to get this information prepared.

All of the paperwork for this last step is official and will be put into a permanent record. Keep copies of everything.

Lata!
Skyward80

Last edited:
I should also clarify....I was selected as the alternate for a fighter unit w/ the ANG. I want to do everything I possibly can to get the primary next time and I think that giving them one less thing to worry about would be good.

Anyone have success stories for going alternate to primary?

Latest resources

Back