Fate is the Hunter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
another one

Hard landings is GREAT!! Fantastic airline industry overview.

Just read Bush Pilot in Diamond Country by Donald Haack. A fantastic book about bush flying in British Guinea (sp?) in the 50's from a guy who was there and is still in the diamond biz. It is not in wide release it is available at www.mainstreetrag.com on the pure heart press section.

A Salty Piece of Land - By the Ambassador of Escapism, Mr. Jimmy Buffett

Anything by Ernie Gann. The High and the Mighty, Island in the Sky, Gentlemen of Adventure are all good. Also check out When the Airlines Went to War by Robert Serling.

Two Great Books

Wager with the Wind - The Don Sheldon Story
by James Greiner

The life story of the "THE" Alaskan bush pilot. Wonderful book, lots of pictures, easy reading.

The Flying Carpet
by Richard Halliburton

Around the world in a Stearman C-3B in 1933. Halliburton and Moye Stevens (his pilot and one of the original TWA pilots) had an amazing adventure that leaves your jaw hanging. Great book and lots of pictures.

The guys in both these books had boxcar loads of balls.

Last edited:
"In the Heart of the Sea (the tragedy of the Whaleship Essex)", Nathaniel Philbrick.

Nothing whatsoever to do with airplanes. Amazing, completely true, story about a Nantucket whale ship in the early 1800's that is sunk by a whale. I understand that the story is the basis of the book Moby Dick. The crew is set adrift on the small "whale hunting" boats. It's got everything. History, racism, religion, survival in extreme situations, cannibalism, and even a little sex. I raced through it in 3 or 4 days the first time and have reread it once or twice in the past 2 years.

"Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason. An outstanding nonfiction account of one man's experience flying UH-1's in Vietnam. I've bought and given away more copies of this book than I can count.

I'll second "93 Confirmed Kills" by Carlos Hathcock. These books put our everyday lives into real perspective.

Latest resources

Back