• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Family life in Dubai?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back to original question. What is it like in Dubai for family? Schools and housing? Is it safe? etc

I don't work in the UAE, but from what I understand, its very doable to do the family thing there. I plan on bringing my family out elsewhere in the Middle East by the end of the year.

Amish posted the definition of culture shock and each phase of it is right on the money. The culture in those parts is so extremely bizarre from an American's eyes, but, I still say its doable. I guess it depends on the individual, his family's desires, and sense of adventure. It can be an excellent opportunity for kids to get a world class education and to see things that most kids (and adults for that matter) will NEVER see in a lifetime.

Some folks have this general attitude, and I tend to agree with it:

If you go over there, take two buckets with you. One to put all that money in that you'll be making. And the other one for all the bullsh|t that you're going to put up with. When either one gets full, its time to pack up and leave.

Back to original question. What is it like in Dubai for family? Schools and housing? Is it safe? etc

Just back from dinner at TGI Friday's. It was a choice between that Tony Roma's or Chili's. Felt the need for a nice American style desert after dinner since it's my birthday so those were the best options. Went with the mud pie over the chocolate brownie. Saw two other American families while I was there. One whose kids are at the American School of Dubai and another whose kids are at the Universal American School. The ASD parents just back from the boys' baseball games. Discussed the various differences between the two as well as Dubai American Academy. We're trying to decide where to send our son in 2009. He'll be at a Nursery school nearby next year.

Had my son at Zabeel Park for the afternoon. He loves the place. Lots of slides, sand, grass, and other things for him to play on. From where I live there are 5 good parks within an easy drive.

Last night I was at the Dubai Tennis Championships. I go every year as it is a great venue and some excellent tennis. The men's semi was Andy Roddick from the USA against Novak Djokovic from Serbia, current Australian Open Champion and world number 3. Big Serb contigent rooting for their guy, but we Americans managed to make ourselves heard and Andy won handily in two sets. He went on to win the final tonight so I hope to see him again next year. Watching his serve in person is awesome.

Round-a-bout way of answering the question, but I hope you get the point.

TP

Well, Happy Birthday, TP! Thanks for always being there to help those of us persuing a career with EK.

I have not spent any time in DXB or HKG but I have done contracts in some pretty rough places. I would assume DXB and HKG would be much better than where I have had to live. The first few days are tough as you ask yourself why am I here??? Then you fall into a zone and get a routine going. As time goes on, you learn a new perspective on life and start to enjoy your time in your new home.

Being a young single guy might make this lifestyle easy for me. If I was married with kids, I am sure that this would not work for me. However, I think the Emirates or Cathay gig might be a good deal provided you had an open minded wife who is up for an adventure.

These gigs in Japan are pretty good once you pass the 8 to 9 months training that is enough to drive you mad

Yeah, what's with that? I've heard of 5 months for CX but *8* Months. Holy.

Latest resources

Back