Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
All airlines have had over a year now to prepare for the upcoming rest rules.

In less than one year all passenger airlines must comply.

Does anyone know of any airline that is actively preparing for it? Seems we're set to hear a myriad of excuses in 9-10 months and I'm curious why no one is talking about such a big change yet.

I've heard that when a company decides to implement it, they will have to run both the old rules parallel with the new rules, I took that to mean their computer systems will have to track pilots under both systems until the law takes effect.

So if airline X wants to implement the new rules 6 months early, they will have to track crews under both the new and old for 6 mo.

I guess my outfit is running the numbers trying to figure out how many pilots they can get by without doing any new hiring!

You know that the new rules have a look back provision. Therefore, the flying that we are all doing now will be counted under the new rules.

The UPS pilots are currently suing about the cargo exclusion. My understanding is if they win their court case, then the new rules will be thrown out completely and the FAA will have to start from square one. But, this may not matter, as some in congress have a potential bill to delete the cargo exclusion, which would mean no more suit from the UPS pilots.

Latest resources

Back