F-16 or other pointy nose guys....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

I read an article about negative stability written by Bill Dryden. He mentioned several times something about a "nose slice". What is this?

I would assume it has something wrt to departing controlled flight in a turn or high AOA????

I read an article about negative stability written by Bill Dryden. He mentioned several times something about a "nose slice". What is this?

I would assume it has something wrt to departing controlled flight in a turn or high AOA????

Typically used to define how to get out of a nose high/low energy situation. Basically roll up on a wing, unload, step on the bottom rudder to get the nose below the horizon.

Basically slang for a sort of half a$$ hammer head, but a good way to avoid departing if you're bleeding energy.

If you get the AOA high enough, the airflow over the tail gets blocked a bit so the rudder/tail effectiveness is reduced and the the nose will slice one direction or the other until the AOA reduces and the vertical tail becomes effective again. Feels a bit like entering a spin but usually doesn't last long at all. Generally you have to ham-fist it pretty bad to truly go out of control in an F-16.

Incorrect..."MPO Switch OVRD and Hold, Stick Cycle in Phase"

;)

DOH!

Seriously, fighting a slick block 30 one day (in a Hornet) guy tries to power up and over the top from a slow speed one circle fight. Gets almost on his back from pure vertical and I just see the nose pitch bucking has he brings it back down again. I was so stupified by what was going on I flushed right out in front of him, and the whole thing worked out well for him. In the debrief he goes "the jet hasn't departed until it stops doing what I tell it to." Hilarious!

incorrect..."mpo switch ovrd and hold, stick cycle in phase"

;)

incorrect....

out-of-control recovery:

1. Controls - release
2. Throttle - idle
3. Flcs switch - reset (n/a analog flcs)

if in an inverted deep stall: (n/a for blk 40/42/50/52)
4. Rudder - opposite yaw direction

if still out-of-control:
5. Mpo switch - ovrd and hold
6. Stick - cycle in phase

Latest resources

Back