Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Regul8r

Old School
I got my medical the other day and the doc tells me as I'm walking out, "Look, you missed quite a few on your eye exam. You got just enough right to pass for 20/20, but before your next exam why don't you see an eye doctor and get them spiffed up." Are there any eye excercises you can do to increase eye strength? Do carrots really work? Will a steady diet of Ramen Noodles (See: No Nutrition) do this to you? Comments please.

Ive heard of some exercises that can actually improve your vision, but they work for a very tiny segment of people. Contact lenses arent so bad. But stay away from the LASIK stuff. Far away.

Regul8r said:
Sounds like the Lasik is trouble?

Eye corrective surgery is still a failry new procedure. Newer and more precise techiniques are being devised everyday. It is not an entirely perfected procedure and has been refined over the past few years.

A fair amount of those who had the procedure done, do not end up with 20/20 although maybe better than the 20/300 they had prior to the surgery. Many also end up with halo's and foggy sight that cant be adjusted for a long period of time. There are good results, but many also end up having to go back to glasses because the eye has readjusted, and you won't be able to have the surgery again until a certain number of years have passed. The procedure also weakens your retina I believe, but not sure.

Personally, I wouldnt want some laser cutting the lens on my eye. Your eyes are the most delicate part of your body, maybe even ahead of your jewels.

Regul8r said:
I got my medical the other day and the doc tells me as I'm walking out, "Look, you missed quite a few on your eye exam. You got just enough right to pass for 20/20, but before your next exam why don't you see an eye doctor and get them spiffed up." Are there any eye excercises you can do to increase eye strength? Do carrots really work? Will a steady diet of Ramen Noodles (See: No Nutrition) do this to you? Comments please.
It depends on what is wrong with your eyes. Carrots (and Bilberries) contain significant amounts of B-carotene, which is needed by the cells of your retina to function properly. So yes, in one sense, these foods do improve eye health. Also, there is a cocktail of supplements which has been shown to slow the progression of macular degeneration.

It seems, however, that your trouble is a by product of natural age related changes that occur in the human eye. It probably wouldn't hurt to get tested to see if you need corrective lenses.

Latest resources

Back