Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Could someone give me some insight about flying down to MYEF ???

Will be going from NC down to there and was curious about ATC, customs, etc...

h25b said:
Could someone give me some insight about flying down to MYEF ???

Will be going from NC down to there and was curious about ATC, customs, etc...

First of all, I'd like to offer my condolences...you'll know why when you get there! ATC is the same as it is anywhere in the islands - not a very busy airport at all. Not sure about customs, we dropped the folks in Nassau and repo'd to Exuma and waited for them to get done sailing. Don't expect normal FBO services(ice, catering, etc).

Give me a call if you want to chat about it - phone number still the same.

CL

Not much to know, its borderline third world country. Im not at home so I dont have the business card of the guy to call. But the handlers down there are a husband wife team and are very accomadating. They will meet you at the plane and take care of your pax, taxi over to the right side of the ramp and shut down. You will need to restart an engine and taxi to the other side to park yourself. The handlers are in a buiding across from the terminal. The handler will walk you through everything and take you across the street to give you the rental car and so forth. We stayed at the Bonefish lodge, which is a part of the Peace and Plenty chain. If you you want peace and quiet, and some very nice folks its a greatplace. Otherwise stay in georgetown, but I warn you, there are no health codes at these eating places outside the hotel. The beer is Kalick...pronounced "click" Its left hand side of the road when you drive, and the roads are narrow....be careful. Conk is the main dish, and probably the safest, the chicken and beef do not taste right....(it could have been the beer that made it taste funny) My visit was a good one, but its not as established as alot of tourist destination in the Carribean. All in all easy to get in and out....the controllers may or may not be in the tower...its like they fall asleep or go on break. So patience is a must. Oh, get there early for departure, fueling may or may not be slow...plan ahead. Anything else I can help with let me know, but its pretty cut and dry.

yeah pretty much what bigslaw said. I was there about a month ago and the controller was about as much help as a piece of glass in your eye...we're trying to make position reports entering the pattern and she's advising us of traffic 9 miles out of the airport..we're in the flare and she asked where we departed from and the time and blah blah blah..i believe she's actually a nassau radio person, not an actual controller. We had a nice guy named Dudley come and help with our paperwork and collect all the fees. Typical Bahamas, everything moves slowly. Pretty easy. Have fun.

I've been there quite a few times.

The "contolers" there aren't really controlers and they have no authority given by the ministry of transportation. It is uncontrolled and for all practible purposes a CTAF freq. They do like to pretend they can give you clearances, but what they are good for is traffic advisories and getting you your IFR from Nassau.
Junior is the guy that runs the airport ops and will hook you up with parking, bag handling, ground transportation, etc. As far as customs is concerned, it's pretty straight forward (Gen decs / arrival report)

As far as accomodations, the Peace and Plenty is a great little resort in Georgetown that's quite affordable and nice. Across the street is boat rentas where you can get a half day for like 60.00 for a nice 70hp. Go to the outer cays and hit the Chat n' Chill for the best conch burger ever and some tasty rum drinks. Also on the east side, there is some great surf. The Four Seasons is the top dog resort but a bit $$$$.

Hope this helps and have fun!

Latest resources

Back