Explaining a Busted Checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

stmi0203

As I was training for my SEL instrument rating a few years back I failed the written and the checkride the first time. I learned from that mistake and have not failed anything since. I've also made a point to make my instrument skills as sharp as they can be. My concern is that as I begin applying for Part 135 or Regional jobs I'll be turned away b/c of the busted ride. It may be difficult to determine, but how negatively will this affect the likelihood I will receive a call for an interview or a job offer? And more importantly, how do I explain the failed test and busted ride during the interview so that I can demonstrate I learned from my mistake? Has anyone else found themself in such a situation?

Almost everyone has failed a checkride at some point. It won't be a big deal, industry is desperate for pilots anywho.

Most people have busted at somepoint for various reasons. Dont lie or anything like that, just tell them what happened, why you busted and then make sure you put a positive spin on it and what you learned from it. I wouldn't worry in the least bit about it.

"I learned from that mistake and have not failed anything since. I've also made a point to make my instrument skills as sharp as they can be."

That sounds pretty good what you said there. It wont be a big deal at all as long as you have a positive attitude.

Lucky

Luckily I never was in in this situation...knock wood, but I think the way you put up with it is good. It might affect the outcome of an interview, but as said, if you put it the right way it should be ok. We are only humans, everybody of us. Point out why and what you did after to avoid a reoccurrance and it should be fine...

Be honest, put all of the blame on yourself, dont pass it off as being an over zealous examiner, or a poor instructor, it was all your fault. But most important what have you learned from it.

I failed my private checkride, i've been through one regional and two 135 operators and was never asked about it. If anyone does ask just be honest and tell them it was a lesson learned..

No worries about the busted check ride.

Once you get a few type ratings, work for a few different carriers, you're bound to bust a ride (or two) sooner or later. You just got yours out of the way now!

I have been asked this question? Once in an interview and once by a D/E on my commercial ride during oral exam.

My answer,

I busted my first private ride, I busted on pattern entry & unusual attitudes It was my fault I drifted to far towards departure end of runway was not correcting for wind and descended into my downwind. In the unusual attitudes I did not go Idle in a nose down recovery oops.

Went up with instructor worked on unusual attitudes, ground reference, and pattern entry Next day demonstrated ground knowledge of my mistakes and showed proficiency in them maneuvers in the practical exam.

Keep it simple and Honest!

:beer:

Last edited:
I failed a PC a while back...when asked about it in an interview I told them exactly what happened: It was the first takeoff of the PC (no warm up allowed) and the examiner failed an engine and we went for a Mississippi Mud Ride. The interview team all gasped and all said "your first takeoff???" And went on to say that he was a jerk and so on. I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest resources

Back