• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Exhausted pilots reveal risky nodding off

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just an FYI for those of you who think calling in fatigued is an easy call consider where I work. We have a "no Fault" attendance policy whereby any call off duty sick/fatigued/dead is a mark against you. I'm not saying it is wise, but when the choice is between your job and flying tried most people will suck it up and fly half-asleep. Not good yet the FAA couldn't care less.

Skeezer

I can't recall falling asleep on the job, but I remember waking up a couple times.

Safety first! If airline pilots need to complain about not getting the proper sleep between flights, it's their obligation to report this to management before a plane crashes and people die.

OMFG! Son, you have way more to learn (student pilot indeed) than I could ever have time to teach!:puke:

there is waaayyyy too much exaggeration and whining going on about this. did the regional thing for 7 years both commuting and not commuting. i understood what i signed up for. however, it was never that bad. sometimes i think there is no pleasing some people.

Sure it was a "regional" they were talking about and not Jetblue and their passenger-well-being-risked "fatigue experiments"? Idiots.

Somebody send this article to Neelman.

hmm after a long day...

when you fly the 16 max or whatever the duty day allows...then you get back and leave the airport and get home...shower make dinner sleep wake up tired...after 10 hours off...with only a 15 minute door to door...that really leaves about 7 hours or so...if you don't fall asleep immediately...lose more time...all said and done i regularly flew on about 5 hours of sleep...fine for a bit but then one day a week...i had to say...go shopping now 4 hours of sleep. Basically if i called in sick every time i was fatigued at my last job i would have been fatigued a minimum of 30 days a year. Thats being realistic. So if its my duty to do that and its completely allowed...i am pretty excited about my future. A whole month of fatigue days. I believed that crap when i was in school too, but the real world teaches you to do what you have to do. Which is try to not sleep at the controls...i do soduko to keep my mind alert...but once in a while i still slip into unconsciousness

I catch myself thinking this the night before I need to commute to work

wake up at 4am
catch the 6am
start my day at noon
sit at some God foresaken hell hole for 3-4.99 hours
fly some more
released at 2359

real safe to be up flying after being up for 20 hours straight

commuting is your choice though. While it does suck having to move for airlines you still choose to commute. If you were really interested in safety perhaps you would fly in the night before if you can't get a trip that starts late enough to get proper rest?

Anybody remember that line Matthew Modine had in And the Band Played On? Any time the fatigue issue comes up--and it seems to be coming up more often these days--I think of it:

"How many people have to die before it'll be cost effective for you people to do something about it? A hundred? A thousand? Give us a number so we won't annoy you until the amount of money you start losing on lawsuits makes it more profitable for you to save people than to kill them!"

there is waaayyyy too much exaggeration and whining going on about this. did the regional thing for 7 years both commuting and not commuting. i understood what i signed up for. however, it was never that bad. sometimes i think there is no pleasing some people.

Different companies do different things.....

Latest resources

Back