• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Everyone Get Comfortable At Your Regional

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
inlight of these events i wonder what this will do to anymore outsourcing of mainline type flying. Like the 190's. with guys looking a stagnated careers maybe they could push to take back most of the 70-100 seat flying.

good thing FO's don't "babysit" Captains...if an FO is fortunate enough to sit to the right of a Captain with 40 years of airline experience he or she should view it as a learning experience and not waste it trying to "one-up" the "old" guy or girl

Yes, sometimes FOs do babysit captains. It's a rare occasion, but maybe not for long.

Senate Unanimously Approves Change to Pilot Retirement Age Limit
Legislation awaits President’s signature to become law
December 12, 2007
Just one day after the U.S. House of Representatives passed H.R.4343, a bill that would raise the mandatory retirement age for commercial airline pilots to 65, the U.S. Senate followed suit tonight when it approved the same piece of legislation by unanimous consent—meaning that no senator objected. “ALPA has worked very hard from the beginning of this process to make sure that the recommendations of the Executive Board—which were intended to protect our pilots—were included in any age change,” said ALPA President Capt. John Prater. “I am gratified to report to our members tonight that this legislation reflects the direction of the Board.”
The bill now goes to the U.S. President for his signature, which will make it law. The timing for this has yet to be determined.

Yes, sometimes FOs do babysit captains. It's a rare occasion, but maybe not for long.

If it goes on past "high mins" something's wrong...it's just like the "college boy" officer that gets sent to war where the enlisted troops know all the ins and outs and have been fighting for a year...they carry the commander's weight for a bit, but he's still the commander...I can respect an FO who's been there for 8 years in the right seat for both knowing his plane and for staying...but the 4th stripe still gets all the blame whether day 1 or year 30...

I never said I was for it. Just that we would be more likely to fly the extra five than the current generation.

Five more years for your savings to compound before you start drawing, Free Cat Guy. That's a good thing. (hilarious avatar by the way)

I am mearly insunuating that it was a collaborative effort, and not just one old man. Yes, he does get credit, as does the check pilot, and first officer.

You are right- I need to fact check everything posted, just like everyone else on FI

Oh, you lump everyone in the same category as you, trying to make you not look so bad? That's bad form my friend, in addition to your frequent bad spelling. In your signature line don't you mean "god bless the peacemakers", not "pacemakers"?

Exactly! In fact Al was an early "poster child" in the media for increasing the mandatory retirement age of airline pilots...

Not quite. Al agrees that skills deteriorate over time and there is a difference between a 30 year old pilot and a 55 year old one. He notes there is some advantage with judgement with age, but there are risks as well.

He supports a mandatory retirement age although he doesn't mention a specific number. And if he was strongly in favor of increasing the age, he would have supported it.

Not quite. Al agrees that skills deteriorate over time and there is a difference between a 30 year old pilot and a 55 year old one. He notes there is some advantage with judgement with age, but there are risks as well.

He supports a mandatory retirement age although he doesn't mention a specific number. And if he was strongly in favor of increasing the age, he would have supported it.

You are correct Poahi...I wasn't clear in my statement...I didn't mean that Al supported 65...only that those in favor of 65 attempted to use him as an example that older pilots were still competent...Al's wisdom is reflected in his comments to the public regarding the accident and the age 65 proposal...

Latest resources

Back