ERAU Online

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

psysicx

I was wondering if anybody had any info on the online program.I know your suppose to major in something besides aviation but there management program looks like a business degree.Thanks

If I was going to do it all over again.....

Don't bother spending HUGE $$ on an aviation degree from ERAU...go and get an education on building a house....how about a specific trade....become a master plumber...or master carpenter....

I fly with guys that do these type of trades on their days off and can earn substantial cash on the side...(changing out a water heater can earn you a nice living in NE) get your contractor's license and start building spec homes. you can't do that with a worthless degree (which I HAVE).

if you are going to get into flying....you MUST have a backup career. make sure to sow those seeds just as vigorously as you sow the ones to become a professional pilot.

bottom line is you will never get wealthy being a pilot. you will make the person you work for wealthy. so if you love flying...great. do it because you love to fly but make sure you take care of yourself and your family first...then get the job flying just for fun!

There are lots of things you could do with a business degree with an aviation twist.The problem with trades they don't have 4 year degrees.I was thinking about nursing since there in such high demand.

i think the book is called, "rich dad, poor dad."

anyway, read it many years ago....what an enlightenment! i was raised..."get good grades...go to a good college...work for a good company....retire!

well...my kids will be doing book reports on rich dad poor dad, and automatic millionaire.

bottom line...you can always work for a living and health care is an extremely stable profession....you won't get rich though working for someone other than yourself!

if you put the money you are spending in nursing and GC'd your own home build....you would turn the key with 30% minimum equity....lets just use a small 100K house! how long would it take for you to SAVE 30K doing a regular job???? even on a 777 salary????

well, you did it in 7 months...and live in it for 2 years and that 30K is tax FREE!

I couldn't agree with wnshr more!! I have a BS in BS from ERAU and it isn't worth the paper it's written on. Did I put a lot of work into it? Yes. Does the name mean a lot if your flying? Yes. If something happens to you along the way with your health or one of the other million things that could disqualify you from flying w/ a first class cert. where is that degree going to take you? I think your a little confused on what you want to do in life. Which is fine, but it can cost you a lot of time and money along the way. Do you want to be a nurse because you like to wipe butts and it just so happens that the pay is good? Or is it because of the easy money that people like my mother make for putting up with whiners. The drop out rate for pilots is very high, and that's because people don't have the drive and commitment that it takes. If you want to fly, you need to think about going to an accelerated school and getting your ratings first. Then while you teach part-time, you can also go to school for whatever. I'm not trying to talk down to you or sway your ideas any, it's just that I was in your same position for 4 years in the military trying to figure out what to do with my life. I knew that turning wrenches wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. So think everything through and then decide. I hoped a little part of this helped

Do both... I'm using my GI Bill to get the college degree box checked off. I am doing the ERAU distance program and I am happy with it. It is expensive if you are paying for it out of pocket. Most of the students in my classes are military or ex-military.

I know full well that the ERAU degree has questionable value outside of aviation. I do not have time to sit in class for 4-6 hours per day during prime money making time. I spent my college age years serving my country underwater on a submarine. ERAU distance learning fits my need to earn my degree on a flexible schedule.

All that said... The only way to really to make money and be independent is to own your own business. I read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and many others like it. What I've learned is that you have to own some sort of asset that can generate income whether you are present or not. I'm planning on buying a small apartment complex and build from there. Have you ever played Monopoly?

psysicx said:
There are lots of things you could do with a business degree with an aviation twist.The problem with trades they don't have 4 year degrees.I was thinking about nursing since there in such high demand.

What's wrong with the trades, and not having a 4 year degree?

Psysicx:

I have one of those BS Bull Shi* degrees from Embry Riddle. The online stuff is very expensive and requires a great commitment to get it done. I guess if one were sitting around FBOs all day or on layovers, it would get done, but consider looking around to other fully accrediated colleges that offer online courses. The online course at ERAU is just a specialized management/business degree geared toward aviation.

Do you have a BS degree already? If so, and your looking to get a Masters, do some research (maybe from your own school) that has online stuff. I'm finding that many colleges/univ around the country have their masters students do a lot of homework during the week, then they meet all day SAT or something like that. Some of them meet twice a month.

Guys, guys. Let's not degrade Everyone Receives An Undergraduate any more. I need it to hold some sort of weight when I go for an interview!

Your correct F16fixer

I would highly recommend an undergrad degree. Even if you are considering a "trade" occupation. It breaks open the doors. I know.

Latest resources

Back