• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Engine Fire Joining LOC on Approach

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Statistically the average time between discovery of fire and complete hull loss is less then 20 minutes. Simple Land now

Cleared for approach and you get an engine fire while joining the LOC. WWYD?

He's back again with the stupid questions/statements!:eek:

This one is as stupid as that one you started about new ASA procedures.:(

Last edited:
Grow a pair - then decide if you want to cover your @$$ or save your @$$.

For me: outside the FAF, declare emergency, run QRH. Inside the FAF - declare emergency, land.

So you wouldn't land immediately if the fire happened outside the FAF or are you just saying you would run the QRH and land immediately outside the FAF?

As stupid as you all think the OP's question is, I've had to commandeer the airplane during two separate lofts now with smoke/fire (or possible fire) on board after the CA wanted to hold or execute a missed approach. Maybe that was with a couple of you on here. :rolleyes:

Are you really an airline pilot? What kind of question is this? If you have any type of fire onboard or suspect any type of fire, you declare an emergency and land ASAP. If you don't have enough time to complete the appropriate checklists, you still land ASAP. You should know how to configure your aircraft for a single engine approach without using a checklist. If not, you shouldn't be flying that aircraft.

Yes, that's why when we get an engine fire on a V1 cut we scream "FIRE!" make an immediate 180 to land single engine running whatever checklists we manage to run....GET IT ON THE GROUND!!!!!!!

Back to my original question, personally I'd have whoever the person flying is continue the approach while PM runs the immediate action items checklist for engine fire. If we manage to put the fire out, then we have time to circle around, run the QRH, thoroughly brief and prepare for a single engine approach. If the fire doesn't go out, the PF is already continuing the approach so get it on the ground ASAP

Last edited:
Remain Calm and in control of the plane

Declare the Emergency to the Trucks Rolling.

Get the plane configured and slowed so having to go missed doesn't happen.

Notify the flight attendant (might occur 2nd if you were already configured or the weather was VFR)

Run whatever checklists you can safely get done while monitoring the approach.

Land without further incident, get the hell out of the plane.

Latest resources

Back