EMS question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fox6

On a typical 7/7 ems or GOM shift, what are the duty hours 12 or 14 and how many flight hours allowed during that shift? Also, is the posted salary on these jobs what you will make or is there an opportunity for more $? night differential, holiday pay, overtime, etc. Just wondering. Also, how long can you stay at one base?

F6

I've been out of EMS for several years but flew it for over 15 years and I have never flown in the GOM. What I recall of EMS is that there is no shift differential. Per FAR single pilot is limited to 8 hours of flying in a 24 hour period. In EMS if you see anything close to 8 hours in a 24 hour you are involved in a major mass casualty situation. Shifts are usually 12 hours but your duty day is 14 hours long. Which means that if you are on a flight and the patient is not ready for transport you might end up with a 14 hour duty day before you get back. Most times you will be lucky to fly 5 hours during a week rotation. I have personally gone several rotations without a flight. As for bouncing from one location to another it is very unlikely but possible. Hospitals don't like to see new faces at the controls. And believe me you don't want to have to get use to a whole new set of personalities. Holidays, well if you are off that week you have a holiday, if you are on during a holiday some operators will pay holiday pay. Overtime is a hot issue with many operation. Very few pay more than what you make on a daily rate. Due to the low volume of flights in EMS it is jokingly refered to as SFD...sleeping for dollars.

Thanks for the info, I see that you fly the Dauphin, what a sweet looking bird. I would love to get some time in one.

Latest resources

Back