• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Emirates WWYD?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not always easy to return home after having done the expat thing and while the rest of the world may not care about the magical 1000 turbine PIC, it's an insurance policy if you do want to come home.

I'd wait.

My thought is to let the mergers and acquisitions dust settle in the US, which could easily take 5 years, and still be marketable to come back to it when hiring is strong.

You think the dust is going to settle? De-regulation has been a constant dust-up and it will never settle. Just look at the post de-regulation lineage of the remaining legacy carriers.

American - American, TWA, Ozark, Reno
Delta - Delta, Northwest, Western, Republic, North Central...
United - United, Continental, People Express, New York Air, Texas International...
USAirways - USAirways, America West, Piedmont, PSA...

Since deregulation the industry has averaged a major merger or acquisition about every two years. It is not going to end either, remember there is consistent talk of AA and USAirways. Within a decade you will see United and Delta talking. Mark my words...

You think the dust is going to settle? De-regulation has been a constant dust-up and it will never settle. Just look at the post de-regulation lineage of the remaining legacy carriers.

American - American, TWA, Ozark, Reno
Delta - Delta, Northwest, Western, Republic, North Central...
United - United, Continental, People Express, New York Air, Texas International...
USAirways - USAirways, America West, Piedmont, PSA...

Since deregulation the industry has averaged a major merger or acquisition about every two years. It is not going to end either, remember there is consistent talk of AA and USAirways. Within a decade you will see United and Delta talking. Mark my words...

Duly noted. So the dust analogy wasn't that great, but I guess I meant it in terms of hiring peaks and troughs. Either way, I'm impressed that this thread has been more informative than bitchy.

Duly noted. So the dust analogy wasn't that great, but I guess I meant it in terms of hiring peaks and troughs. Either way, I'm impressed that this thread has been more informative than bitchy.

Perhaps I am a bit cynical about the state of our industry after three furloughs.

Hopefully the tide is turning in our favor though.

I am of the opinion that the industry will continue to globalize. After all, isn't that the point of air travel, to make it easier to travel? In that respect I think over the next few years you will begin to see other major global airlines begin to follow the lead of airlines like Cathay Pacific, Korean and Hainan and start having crews based all over the world. These days you could very well be working for a major Asian based carrier, but live and be based in a place like Seattle or New York. With the global expansion plans of Emirates, I could see that being a possibility with them as well. I do know a few guys who have headed overseas and have lost the desire to ever work for a U.S. carrier again.

Best of luck. I am holding out hope that one of them will allow European basing.

other major global airlines begin to follow the lead of airlines like Cathay Pacific

FWIW, Cathay Pacifics' basings are in complete disarray, with guys employed in the USA, Canada, Australia and others now all illegible for DOUBLE TAXATION - both in Hong Kong and their home countries.

As usual, CX are trying to nickle and dime the issue and are reluctant to accept the principle that to save a little you're going to have to spend a little...

Result? Basings are frozen. No new hires onto bases (don't get me started on the absurd "iCadet" program) - everyone now joins CX as an S/O on LOCAL TERMS (no expat benefits) and no replacements on the bases as guys leave.

Yes, they are leaving - the current turnover rate is about 5% p.a.

I was told if you fly for Emirates that you cannot be hired by UPS or FedEX when you come back. Something about them flying the US Mail and special clearances...it sounded like a bunch of hooey to me, but I suppose it's possible there could be some truth to it. Anybody know anything about this?

FedEx requires you to have resided in the US continuously, for the 5 years prior to applying.

AFAIK there isn't a similar requirement at UPS.

FedEx requires you to have resided in the US continuously, for the 5 years prior to applying.

AFAIK there isn't a similar requirement at UPS.

Which is really weird because if you get hired you have a good chance of being based outside the US. So what happens if you get based in Germany and move your family there for a few years and then bid back into the states? Are you not allowed to?

Seems like a dumb requirement to me.

in this BS industry, id lie about everything. pencil the time, they dont have the time to check everything. give fedex your brothers address and hope you get hired.

point being.....get the job.

Latest resources

Back