Emirates questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gillegan,
I'm not sure that the accommodation rumur you heard was true. I was in the training college two days ago, ran into the new hire class going through CRM (they were on a break, so I stopped and chatted with a few of them). All had permenant accommodation. They were in Cedre Villas, one was allocated a villa in DSO, and the single guys were in the apartment building over by the mall of Emirates (don't remember the name of it).

Hi!

brokeflyer:
and dont forget, it's spring training season for the terrorists camps.....

so you got that going for you.....which is nice.

Don't understand your post? Are you trying to say there are terrorists, or terrorist training camps in UAE????

There ARE terrorist training camps, run by various right-wing groups in the US.

In UAE there are 0 training camps, and the chances of one starting is almost 0, as the government has the authority to do whatever they want, so it is VERY difficult for terrorists even to reside in UAE, much less run a training camp.

A terrorist strike in the UAE, again, not very likely, as there are not as many targets as in the US, or Saudi, and, again, the governent is not constrained by civil liberties like in the US. You chances of getting killed by terrorists are MUCH higher in NYC than UAE.

I was missed being at the Atlanta 1996 bombings by 24 hours, due to our Olympic schedule. It could have been me that died that night.

cliff
LFW

Hi!

brokeflyer:

Don't understand your post? Are you trying to say there are terrorists, or terrorist training camps in UAE????

There ARE terrorist training camps, run by various right-wing groups in the US.

In UAE there are 0 training camps, and the chances of one starting is almost 0, as the government has the authority to do whatever they want, so it is VERY difficult for terrorists even to reside in UAE, much less run a training camp.

A terrorist strike in the UAE, again, not very likely, as there are not as many targets as in the US, or Saudi, and, again, the governent is not constrained by civil liberties like in the US. You chances of getting killed by terrorists are MUCH higher in NYC than UAE.

I was missed being at the Atlanta 1996 bombings by 24 hours, due to our Olympic schedule. It could have been me that died that night.

cliff
LFW

brokeflyer is just being his racist idiot self

Gillegan,
I'm not sure that the accommodation rumur you heard was true. I was in the training college two days ago, ran into the new hire class going through CRM (they were on a break, so I stopped and chatted with a few of them). All had permenant accommodation. They were in Cedre Villas, one was allocated a villa in DSO, and the single guys were in the apartment building over by the mall of Emirates (don't remember the name of it).
R4L, I hope you're right. It certainly wouldn't make sense given the current availability of villas around Dubai. That said, it wouldn't surprize me if guys and gals were going into temporary accommodation given some of the things they have done in the recent past.

Can anyone please let me know where to find the "Prepare for your emirates interview book in usa?

What other books would someone rec besides ace the pilot interview book and the above book mentioned.

If anyone have gone thru recent interview, can you please let me know what is involved and how many days, sim profile etc.

thanks and have a great day everyone

Spot on, Buford...Spot on.

Although in my case a 50/50 split. I fought for 18 months to get decent, promised accomidations from EK.

Guys, seriously do you research before leaving home. If you have friends here, ask them. Especially ask the married guys because if your not yet-you're gonna be. Not easy here on the wife and kids and getting home is a nightmare of time and expense. Whatever magical savings you believe you'll see evaporates. But guys still show up.

Although in my case a 50/50 split. I fought for 18 months to get decent, promised accomidations from EK.

Guys, seriously do you research before leaving home. If you have friends here, ask them. Especially ask the married guys because if your not yet-you're gonna be. Not easy here on the wife and kids and getting home is a nightmare of time and expense. Whatever magical savings you believe you'll see evaporates. But guys still show up.

How many EK pilots do you think will leave and return to the states when Delta and some of the other airlines start hiring again?

What do you mean your savings will go? I have heard most people spend way more than they usually would while they live in Dubai. Or are you saying the pay isn't as great as you thought it would be? Just curious

Thanks

How many EK pilots do you think will leave and return to the states when Delta and some of the other airlines start hiring again?

WILL Leave or want to leave? Want to leave=very high. Will leave=difficult to say...logistically once you move out here(married guy I'm talking about now) it can be very, very hard. Pack up house (min cost, w/shipping, customs, etc...$6K USD). Take kids out of sch. Exit visa, release paperwork issues at HDQ. (see pprune) 3mo notice period....your juniority at you new job is ticking, as they've hired you but you can't leave here yet, and all of your interview group is in groundschool but YOU. Sell car, stuff (at a serious loss) close out bank accounts...hope you didn't take out any loans!

Here anything you expect will take an hour to do takes FOUR (at least). A half a day? Takes a day. A day...weeks here, maybe never. Forget calling someone on the phone...they don't answer! The only way you get something done here is face-to-face.

I could go on and on, but you get my drift?

Last edited:
What do you mean your savings will go? I have heard most people spend way more than they usually would while they live in Dubai. Or are you saying the pay isn't as great as you thought it would be? Just curious

Thanks

There's no Home Depot here. No Target. No store here like we're used to where you can go in, take an hour, buy stuff you need and get your house set up quick. Believe me it's getting better than it used to, but it's a PITA doing anything for your car, house, computer, etc. And every store has complete idiots who cannot help you with what you need (if they even speak your language (can you speak Hindi? Urdu? a big help)) they'll just read the card in front of the item or the box/whatever like you just did. And return a item you bought? That's an adventure best experienced firsthand.

You wind up spending more than you did at home on inferior crap wasting half a day (for example, looking for a lag bolt). Guys on the 777 at least can get a US flight where they shop for some essential things from home, if they can fit it in their suitcase. I now cry when I walk into Target SFO, IAH.

Books at Borders here are crazily priced. Electronics are 220 only. Car parts...if you can find 'em, overpriced, and maybe fake. Some foodstuffs will shock you. Furniture mostly poorly made. I hope you like IKEA. And you had better get the biggest SUV made. You (and more importantly) your family deserve the safety. It's easier to get BurgerKing to show at your doorstep than an ambulance-you have been warned.

The circuit-breakers in my house pop more than my kid's pez dispenser...i have presently two leaks in my villa and one A/C busted. Crappy workmanship, uneducated, poor mechanics who show up and want to use YOUR tools because they aren't given any. I've witnessed first hand a Chinese guy stand in a deep pool of water checking pump electrics...I actually took three steps back so as not to get crisp myself. A dear friend here (since departed) once had a gas leak in his apartment that they could not find the source of. Finally, they found the skinniest, youngest 'helper' to craw though the ceiling with a butane lighter until finding the leak. (SD, PM me, will ya?) I am not making this up. You will be off on trips trusting these guys with your home/family. Wait till your wife tells you her adventures when you return from your trips. I now ask mine to take a pix (I like pics with my stories).

It is said the first six months-year a new hire will not save a dime (believe it). The pay is what you think it is, it just evaporates like water in the desert. So does your time off. You will spend a day searching for just about anything and find just about nothing.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back