Eggenfeller Subaru engines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

galaxy5

Anyone out there with any experience with Eggenfeller engines? My Dad just finished an RV-9A with a Subaru in it. He's having some customer support issues and the engine has been giving him some trouble. Any other issues out there you can relate?

Hi Galaxy, that's very cool that your Dad built an RV-9. I'm going to fly up to the factory and get the "$25,000 ride" in an RV very soon.

I wish I could offer some sound advice, but I'm not familiar at all with any of the automobile engine conversions. May I respectfully ask why he went that route rather than a Lycoming? I'm curious because I simply want to absorb as much as I can re: the RV series. Thank you, and good luck to you guys.

Hey Gorilla,

He's pretty frustrated about his choice right now. He's flown the airplane for about 4 hours then started having problems. Couple of quality issues and the customer support he gets when he calls down there is nuts. Very defensive and accusatory on their part.

He went this route for a couple of reasons
1. Runs on Auto fuel (so does a Lycoming with mods or additives)
2. Fuel injection makes things simpler (no mixture control)
3. Quiet, smooth ride
4. Ease of maintenance (initial cost is the same, overhauls might be a bit cheaper but the convienence of getting parts from the local dealer is appealing)

All things considered and he had $20K laying around he'd probably rip it out and put in a Lycoming.

Another thing he'd probably tell you. If you want to fly an airplane, buy an airplane (even if it's a complete RV). If you want to build an airplane, buy a kit.

I don't think anyone can deny that there are some serious customer service concerns with Eggenfellner, to put it mildly.

The only recommendation I can give you (short of ripping it out and putting in a Lycoming) is to try and hook up with as many builders as possible. Builders tend to be a very supportive group. It's probable that someone else has already found a solution for whatever problems you're having.

Soobs are fairly popular right now, maybe you can sell it to someone who's willing to tinker with it and put that money towards a decent mid-time 150 horse 0-320 with a fixed-pitch metal prop. You will be able to burn 87 octane cargas and those engines will last forever. The last one I pulled for overhaul had 3400 hours on it.

Good luck.

Eggenfellner Engine

I've got an Eggenfellner engine, so I'd be happy to try to help. Also, there are a couple of good lists where he can go for help:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruaircraft/

This group is run by Eggenfellner, so probably not the best place to complain, but a good place to get help.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/airsoob/

This is a more generic Subaru builder's list - lots of really good people here. You can say what you want on this list.

Please let me know if I can help.

rv8ch,
I think he's been in contact with Jan recently. Bottom line is he flew the airplane about 4 hours. He took the plane out one day and it was running rough. Thought it was a timing issue and replaced the timing belt. Since that day he's only been able to start the plane once. Right now he's trying a new computer. I'm not sure if he's received it yet and tried it. He's sure he's getting fuel and spark but not sure if he's getting it at the right time. He was also concerned that his spark plugs might be an issue and was going to try swapping them out.

Thanks for your reply. Next time I talk to him I'll try to get him to log in here and chat with you.

Latest resources

Back