• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Eagle MEC corruption accusation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Linking ALPA per diem to contract per diem would be pretty much impossible. Expenses get paid by ALPA International, not by the MEC. MECs don't have their own bank accounts. They aren't even their own separate legal entities. So everyone has to use the same centralized expense reimbursement system. Having to use different per diem rates for each airline's pilots would be an accounting nightmare (remember, taxes and DOL filings are involved with any expense reimbursement), so we would spend far more on additional accounting staff than you could ever hope to save by using individual airline per diem rates.

As far as "demanding" fair per diem rates, I guess you've never been involved in a contract negotiation. Demands don't get very far.

So what you are saying is it's too hard so everyone should just give up, bend over and accept the rod willingly... When it comes to per diem unless you are flying international it should all be at one level. It doesn't matter how big or small the airplane is the food will cost the same when you get there. You don't fight for what is right then you will get what you deserve..

So what you are saying is it's too hard so everyone should just give up, bend over and accept the rod willingly...

No, I'm saying that the way ALPA does per diem is reasonable and makes sense. If someone spends a week in downtown DC doing ALPA work, their expenses are going to be a lot higher than someone who is overnighting in Fort Wayne for 12 hours. Comparing the two is asinine.

ALPA can do no wrong according to PCL128.

No, ALPA does a whole lot of wrong, especially under the current President. But you guys are always so busy tilting at windmills that you don't pay any attention to the real problems.

No, I'm saying that the way ALPA does per diem is reasonable and makes sense. If someone spends a week in downtown DC doing ALPA work, their expenses are going to be a lot higher than someone who is overnighting in Fort Wayne for 12 hours. Comparing the two is asinine.

Can you explain how that is different from me overnighting in New York vs Columbia SC? Different cities have higher cost than others. my per diem doesn't change...and I seem to manage.

But really no need for the ALPA boys to worry...while we may complain, none of the pilots I know are motivated enough to use their off day to go to DC and audit the books

Can you explain how that is different from me overnighting in New York vs Columbia SC? Different cities have higher cost than others. my per diem doesn't change...and I seem to manage.

You're there for 12 hours. He's in DC, one of the most expenses cities in the country, for a week. See the difference?

You're there for 12 hours. He's in DC, one of the most expenses cities in the country, for a week. See the difference?

Not really, not as long he's not paying for the hotel room himself. And food in DC is by far not "the most expensive in the country".

No, I don't. Are we talking about increasing per diem for the number of days there or for the city they are in? Two different things

I am not arguing that DC is not expensive. My point is that limits should be set. Being in DC or any other city does not justify frivolous spending.

Latest resources

Back