• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pgcfii2002

"Uh....oh yeah...&quo
Just wondering what the term means?

Rig = Ratio

Duty Rig means you get credit for a minimum amount based on the amount of time you are on duty i.e. with a 2/1 duty rig you get one hour of credit for every two hours on duty. Good luck finding a 2/1 rig, I just used this as an example, they usually run in the 3/1 to 4/1 range.

Trip Rig means you get a credit for a minimum amount based on your time away from base. Same theory, 3/1 and you are away from base 210 hours in a month earns 70 hours of pay.

At the end of the month you get the larger of your flying credit hours or your duty rig or your trip rig. Duty rigs pay if you have a solid CDO line with a short leg there and back. Trip rigs pay if you have a horribly inefficient month sitting on your arse in some random hampton inn.

Another form of a trip rig is a minimum day credit or show credit.

All of the above focus on improving the efficiency of trips. If the company is going to pay you to be away from base or just to show up for work, than they will fly you to get some utilization. You rarely see a four hour sit with a rig because they cost the company money. I know there are exceptions but contracts with rigs are mutually beneficial for both the pilot group and the airline.

Yea, Baby! Yea!

Rekks

Seriously, this is just one of the things every pilot in this industry needs to do when they come up on contract negotiations. These, as well as other points that directly effect QOL are what we as an industry need to do to "raise the bar". 3/1 or 4/1 duty rig? Guys, we need to do better than that. Every pilot out there needs to grow a set and stand up to management these days, show them you are worth the money (except GJ; may they rot in he!!). AWAC hung on to their rigs, and you wouldn't believe how much money we make on them. So what if my hourly is $1.50/$2.00 hr less than others. I'll make it up, and then some, in rig pay. Try it on your next contract, I think you'll like it.

Rekks

I am aware that a 2/1 and other good rigs are out there, but there just are not a lot of examples. I also agree that pilots need to educate themselves on the finer points of contract language instead of flipping to hourly rates and getting a chubby.

Agreed.

Rekks

SKYW has a duty rig, and it's 2:1. If the scheduled day goes beyond 12 hours, the duty rig is 1:1. What we don't have is a trip rig.

AF :cool:

Not to create confusion but AWAC also has trip rigs at 4 to 1 which means that for every 4 hours you spend on the entire trip, you're paid 1 hour. This helps when you have two leg days within a four day trip.

StaySeated said:
At the end of the month you get the larger of your flying credit hours or your duty rig or your trip rig.

Good post, but a minor addition: Some contracts (like QX) will pay the rigs by trip. So if you have 5 trips in a bid, you could be paid trip rig (4:1) for 2 trips, duty rig (2:1) for 2 trips and block (average block in QX's case) for 1 trip, for example.

Everyone on your negotiating committee should drink for free until the amendable date of your contract. Good stuff.

Latest resources

Back