Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CUEBOAT

HomeBaseBKLYN
I am pretty sure a new york state drivers license isnt issued by the DOT, since it doesnt fall under Federal Law but state law. Anyone know for sure? the reason I ask is, I just filled out an insurance form asking if my FAA or DOT license has ever been suspended. I ended up checking the No box.My drivers license did get suspended once about 5 years ago, anyone know if this will effect the insurance much?

Last edited:
CUEBOAT said:
I am pretty sure a new york state drivers license isnt issued by the DOT, since it doesnt fall under Federal Law but state law. Anyone know for sure? the reason I ask is, I just filled out an insurance form asking if my FAA or DOT license has ever been suspended. I ended up checking the No box.My drivers license did get suspended once about 5 years ago, anyone know if this will effect the insurance much?
If you got it wrong, you can claim it was an honest mistake... at least ya got that goin' for ya! :)

My thoughts: The DOT does play a part in Driver Licenses - - just ask the professional truck drivers. Of course, the D.O.T. involvement might just be at the CDL level. CDL holders have to have a current D.O.T. Medical Card (or Governmental Employment verification) to renew CDLs. Finally, the state agency responsible for issuing Driver Licenses is not their state's "DOT." In many cases, (most, perhaps?) it's the state's Department of Safety.

On the other hand... if that's NOT the DOT license, what is?

The CDL is a DOT license and the Chauffers license is too, it requires a medical, the regular state license is issued by the state BMV and is a state level license.

Latest resources

Back