Domiciles affecting QUALITY OF LIFE?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

I'd like to get some opinions from pilots on how you rate domicile location into the whole equation of an airline career.

When you look at things like type of flying (domestic or international) and type of equipment (widebody or narrowbody); are these areas more important than domicile location?

Many pilots put down Southwest for example, because all they have are B737s and only fly domestic. But there is no question that they have a much better domicile selection than airline's like Northwest (Detroit, Memphis, Minneapolis) or FedEx (just Memphis).

To me it seems like domicile location is so much more important than equipment or type of flying. Now I say that to a point... would I want to be stuck at a regional airline in a great location, or commute to fly for a major airline.... I would choose the latter.

Opinions from other pilots on this board would be appreciated.

not a factor for a good job

You can always commute. You mean to tell me you wouldn't work for FEDEX because you don't like their domicles...give me a break. You just don't get to make choices like that. If Northwest or Fedex offer you a job...you take it. And that was in good times. UPS was the first major to offer me a job after getting turned down by Continental and World Airways. Louisville wasn't my idea of a choice domicle but that was no factor in accepting the job. Also, commuting has worked quite well for me. It's all about seniority...

flight-crew,

Actually, FedEx has pilot domicles in three other locations besides Memphis. They are Anchorage, Alaska; L.A., California; and Subic Bay in the Philippines.

Last edited:
Yeah, you can always commute.

But I see these people at my airline who commute and they are only at home 1/3 of the month. The rest of the time they are on reserve in a crashpad at their domicile. Or they have a line with 12 - 13 days off.... they are only getting 10 - 11 full days at home. In that situation, you are living in a crashpad in your domicile and VISITING your home. These people can't seem to get it through their thick heads that they are not living at home when they are spending 70% of their life in a crashpad.

So commuting really only works if it is close (not too far like a transcon. flight or two-legged commute), there is a good selection of nonstop flights, and you have around 17 - 18+ days off.

I never said that I would turn down any airline because of domiciles, but what I am saying is that I will TARGET certain airlines with domiciles that I like. And that I would consider leaving one airline for another that had better domiciles.

Doesn't it make sense to be happy with your airline's domiciles if you plan on making a career there (which could last 20 - 30 years)?

Last edited:
That same Lear pilot could, in several years, make a good amount more money and hold a line in bigger equipment. If you want to get burnt-out quickly... become a flight instructor and have to work most everyday inorder to make anywhere near $60,000 and try to handle a family.

I also believe that my career must first be established or at the very least be a lot more stable than it is as a flight instructor, then I might flirt with the idea of starting a family.

Keep in mind that domiciles change with some frequency, and it's never predictable. 20 Years ago CAL had domiciles in LAX and DEN - now they have mere token service to these cities and instead offer IAH, CLE, and EWR. I don't know if CAL even served EWR before the People Express deal, but now it's thier premier international hub. The LAX FA base was closed solely as a retaliatory move. In the interim domiciles were opened, pilots moved, and the domiciles summarily closed in GSO and FLL. My airline, not many years ago, was based at ORD outstations, then ORD hub based, and now ORD is completely shut down and DEN is the largest domicile. Whoulda thought in 1980 that you could work for Southwest and eventually be able to live in BWI? Delta rolled back PDX and BOS, American aborted BNA, SJU Eagle drivers got themselves sold off (!) In this dynamic industry, decisions made today have only a tenuous hold on future circumstances.

flight-crew said:
I'd like to get some opinions from pilots on how you rate domicile location into the whole equation of an airline career.
As others have stated, it's all about seniority.

You give up a lot of your seniority when you commute to either to a reserve or regular line. A reserve line holder has to bid around short-call, since he has to be in domicile to meet the reporting criteria. A regular line holder has to bid around trips that require travel the day prior - before the first morning bank of flights (some contracts even require a backup.

Look at THE major domicile for a company. If you like it, apply. If you don't, look elsewhere. You can always choose one of the other domiciles. If it closes, move back to mecca. If it closes, you've probably been bought and have more serious concerns.

I wish you success!

Latest resources

Back