Domestic Food service-Anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigsky

Just wondering if any of the majors are still doing a domestic food service? I was surprised to see on a 6 1/2 hour flight from SLC to HNL that Delta didnt do a meal service.. they did manage to push the drink cart around a whole 2 times! In contrast I flew on Quantas a couple of days ago.. three young and beautiful FA's and they did a complete meal service on a 42 minute flight. Actually made flying somewhat tolerable again!

Continental still does. I dunno what Northwest serves in the back but I had a large, fantastic lunch in First on a short flight. (To the Mesaba crew, thanks for the ride)

If airline travelers only knew that the $8.00 deli sandwich and chips being offered during the flight only cost the airline $1.25 from the food service company.

It's good to hear that some airlines are still offering complimentary meal service. Maybe the ones that are planning on selling food will realize that the $6.75 they make off of every sale is not the key to turing a financially troubled airline around.

ATA just announced yesterday that we are going to serve box - type meals on some of our flights. Its going to start on the transcon SFO - EWR - SFO flights, but if it takes off they should be available on more of our longer flights. $5.00 each so the FA's don't have to deal with a lot of change and small bills. That ought to give the pax something to sop up their booze with.

I'm constantly amazed that passengers will bitch and moan that no food is served on a two hour MDW - DEN flight. I mean, don't these people read? They spend an hour plus in MDW, why don't they get a frickin' Potbelly sandwich like I did? They went to the trouble of checking a TV and riding lawnmower as baggage, but won't feed their family before getting on a plane.

Rant over.

By the way. The reason that airlines are selling chow during flights is that people won't pay the extra five bucks in ticket price (yes, five bucks really makes the difference these days), but WILL pay the toll once in flight. Also, pax would take a free meal, eat the chips out of it, then throw the rest on the floor. This would result in significantly longer cleanings by our Polish ladies between flights, therefore increasing turn times, lowering aircraft utilization, etc. If folks want to eat, they will cough up the fiver. If they don't, they can watch their seat mate stuff their faces and watch Friends reruns on the tube.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back