Votes: 33 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 9 20.0%
  • I never visit it.

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters

dmspilot00

Independent
I always have an absolutely horrific time trying to find the information I want on the FAA's website. Has anyone else had trouble with its apparent extreme disorganization?

FAA website

Yeah. I don't go there very often, but I find it frustrating when I do. I agree, it's not laid out very well.

I've used ordinary web searches which lead me to the website. It appears that the same information is in a bunch of different places, scattered all over the place.

Probably was thrown together by some GS-2s or something. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I washed my medical....

and nearly destroyed it.

The very next thing I did was get on the FAA website to order a new one.

I thought this would be simple enough because I had just submitted a change of address through their website last year and found it easy enough.

So I find the "Replace your Medical" page on the website and it says Call This Number.

I called the number.

A recording said, If you'd like to replace your medical certificate, call this number.

So I called THAT number.

A recording said, If you'd like to replace your medical certificate send two dollars and a written request to this address.

:rolleyes:

So I did. And I'm so glad the federal government is fully exploiting the convenience of the latest technology.

Our tax dollars at work.

There's a ton of good info there (A.C.'s etc...) but it can be really hard to find! They should have a link that says "Pilots." And then link to the things that we use the most like lost certificates, TFR's NOTAMS etc...

I had one of the folks at the FSDO tell me that they Google everything they need to find because it's impossible for a human to navigate that (FAA) website. That was before the new format though, and it seems harder than ever to find anything!

There's some good stuff on the website. In the last month I was able to find an 8710 form in the writable pdf format. I just typed the info onto the form and printed it out. Looked very nice. I also updated an address online and ordered a copy of my certificate record. And, I found the practical test standards for the ATP, so I didn't have to go to a pilot shop and spend any money buying one.

So, there's lots of good stuff, just don't try navigating the FAA website to find it. Av1atrx is right - the best way is to just do a search.

Thanks, I am glad to know I am not the only one!

And you are right, it is the layout/format that is the problem. A lot of good info, but almost impossible to find when you want it.

The US government tends to have pretty poor websites in terms of navigating and finding information. THe FAA seems to lead the pack in poor quality. I have spent hours looking for information I *knew* was there, because I had seen it before. Often, if and when I finally figure out where it is, there is no logical way to get to it, poorly structured menus, poorly worded titles, groupings of documents or information which don't make sense....it is pretty pathetic. If a commercial organization had a website as poor as the FAA's they wouldn't get much e-commerce as noone would put up with the crappy website if there was an alternative.

Northern Lights said:
There's a ton of good info there (A.C.'s etc...) but it can be really hard to find! They should have a link that says "Pilots." And then link to the things that we use the most like lost certificates, TFR's NOTAMS etc...

I ditto that.

Wish they would get a better search engine, also. Would be nice to be able to search the regs, and see a short description also.

Latest resources

Back