• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

does the A-320 have an adg?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, why didn't it deploy with Sully? I thought both engines quit. ANy airbus guys know why?

thanks. Just watching the discovery channel deal wondering if it deployed??

It does. If you're talking about the Sully floatplane, they never actually lost all power. He immediately cranked the APU and one of the engines never fully died, but was only capable of just above idle thrust.

It does. If you're talking about the Sully floatplane, they never actually lost all power. He immediately cranked the APU and one of the engines never fully died, but was only capable of just above idle thrust.

Actually, I heard the RAT "did" deploy.

CYA

The engines still had partial power (Idle) and he crancked the APU. He was in Normal Law during the entire event. Making the aircraft easier to control.

For the RAT to actually auto-deploy, both AC buses have to "fail". Yes, the APU was cranked up, but it was not a factor. SOP's knowledge and experience will mandate such action. RAT logic states that, if there is any sort of engine spining as a result of a "bird strike" or anything such as, the electrical network will NOT recognize that as an actual AC BUS failure. Therefore and for as long as the engine driven components (GEN's/IDG's/EDP's and so on) get some sort of movement, even at a low rate, the RAT logic is blinded by it. Somebody mentioned that the engines were at idle and the RAT actually deployed. Only one eng. was at idle and NOT RAT was deployed. Trust me.

DDpaysoff: Is an ADG same as an IDG?

In my aircraft we call it a dry ADG (auto-deploy generator) and it is supposse to auto-deploy with AC essential bus failure or it can be manually deployed by the pilot. Since our AC essential bus has the ability to auto transfer from AC bus 1 (IDG 1) to AC bus 2 (IDG 2), its logic assumes both generators fail. ADG also powers one of electrical hydraulic pumps to have one hydraulic system online. I guess everybody has different acronyms as I have been at 2 airlines now and I know they can differ, but we call "integrated drive generators" IDG.

Thanks for all the replies above, I did not know that one engine was still above the minimum n2 thrust setting to have a main generator online. Figured the "TV folks" meant idle as dead. Thanks again guys.

It's referred to as the ADG in the Boeing manuals for the 757 and 767.

RAT and ADG are interchangable terms in most applications. Note that I said most....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back