Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does anyone know what the UAL min reqs will be?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reality is the published mins have very little to do with what they are actually looking for.

This is it.

Minimums right now are simply knowing the right people. Your flight time, type ratings, PIC turbine, anything like that right now just doesn't matter. At this point, it's all political.

That will change with time, but the people that get hired early will be people with major inside connections. Flight times don't matter.

A friend of mine with nearly 6000 hours with many years of 121 Jet PIC was told he didn't meet the mins.

That's unusual. I wonder what they're expecting as far as applicants go. The majority of the Captains I fly with at my airline who intend to move on to a major fit your friend's profile.

Told by whom?

At the FAFA job fair-one of the United recruiters as they were looking at my resume. I was told that maybe after two years of hiring that I might have a chance. I also heard from a guy that has 10,000 hours and the recruiters told him that he had the most hours of anyone they saw yet at the fair and would pull his resume for a special look.

I know other pilots with my experience level and they were not told they were not competitive at 6,000 hours. So it might have been that one particular recruiter. If they are only looking at 10,000 hour pilots initially-that would be highly peculiar as the hiring practices of all the rest of the rest seem to be going for the low hour types with lots of recommendations

If they're looking for just high numbers then that's too bad. As an older and wiser pilot once told me, there are pilots with 10,000 hours, and then there are pilots with 100 x 100 hours.

It will be near or at ATP mins like Delta and Airways. This will be done in order to hire interns, internal recs, and type rating scholarship winners. Straight from a recruiter.

One of the purposes of having such 'low' mins is to allow military guys, especially fighter and trainer guys where 1,500 hours is about what they'll leave with after their 10-year hitch.

If they're looking for just high numbers then that's too bad. As an older and wiser pilot once told me, there are pilots with 10,000 hours, and then there are pilots with 100 x 100 hours.

Or, in the case of some guys with lots of hours doing basic instruction, 1 hour 10,000 times.

I think its funny that having 1500 hours of Military trainer/jet/Prop would be more desirable than that of an airline pilot that has been flying passengers for 10-15 years.

One of the purposes of having such 'low' mins is to allow military guys, especially fighter and trainer guys where 1,500 hours is about what they'll leave with after their 10-year hitch.

As it should be.

I think its funny that having 1500 hours of Military trainer/jet/Prop would be more desirable than that of an airline pilot that has been flying passengers for 10-15 years.

Who said anything about "more desirable"?

You may think it is funny, but the people who hire professional pilots for a living certainly think there is value in hiring those pilots.

The reasons why military fighter and instructor pilots are desirable for 121 companies to hire have been hashed out many times on this forum and others.

Latest resources

Back