Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Does anyone else thing flying is boring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, flying is boring. I figured that much out during my primary training on x-countrys. The "coolness" factor kept me going. Its redundnant and regimented. you do the same thing over and over and over. Its a different profession for the avg. joe, for sure. They prolly find it highly exciting and respectable b/c they dont know better. but its become very standardized and you really are just a computer programmer and monitor. Thats the job in a nutshell and why wages arent so high anymore. ANYONE can do this job. For chirsts sake, you had kids going from zero hours to rjs in under a year. Some of these guys even managed to get on with majors or something bigger than a CRJ or ERJ. Handflying is not much done from what I see. And most ofthe time they want you on AP anyway. The pilot is way out of the loop and lost many privilges & authority a while ago. Its no fun sitting in an airplane for hours on AP or a filthy hotel with early shows and limited drinking. you are away from things you rather want to do. Not sit in a boondock town. you miss your family and love ones.

OP, be happy you have a job what ever it is. All work becomess a job eventually. In the end, its what your happy to tell people what you do and live whrere your pay goes further. I dont even want to think of the horrors of reserve. That blows.

But I hope sine your at CAL you knew flying was boring when you did you long x-countries. Thats where I realized it but invested too much to just stop.

OP, be happy you have a job what ever it is. All work becomess a job eventually. In the end, its what your happy to tell people what you do and live whrere your pay goes further. I dont even want to think of the horrors of reserve. That blows. .

The first sentence will not go over well with most folks on this board, they like to complain.

Reserve is great at CAL, I flew an average of 6 days per month in 2009. I only have flow 3 days this year 2010 but that is due to another circumstance.....

I can't wait to get back and sit reserve, but please keep telling people that reserve sucks...we need that word spread around.

I hereby nominate this for Dumbest FI Thread of 2010. Do I have a second?

Seconded.

Motion passes.

And here I was hoping that whenever I escaped regional hell and made it to the big show I wouldn't still be surrounded by idiots. Damn... all my dreams are getting shattered here.

Well, flying is boring. I figured that much out during my primary training on x-countrys. The "coolness" factor kept me going. Its redundnant and regimented. you do the same thing over and over and over. Its a different profession for the avg. joe, for sure. They prolly find it highly exciting and respectable b/c they dont know better. but its become very standardized and you really are just a computer programmer and monitor. Thats the job in a nutshell and why wages arent so high anymore. ANYONE can do this job. For chirsts sake, you had kids going from zero hours to rjs in under a year. Some of these guys even managed to get on with majors or something bigger than a CRJ or ERJ. Handflying is not much done from what I see. And most ofthe time they want you on AP anyway. The pilot is way out of the loop and lost many privilges & authority a while ago. Its no fun sitting in an airplane for hours on AP or a filthy hotel with early shows and limited drinking. you are away from things you rather want to do. Not sit in a boondock town. you miss your family and love ones.

OP, be happy you have a job what ever it is. All work becomess a job eventually. In the end, its what your happy to tell people what you do and live whrere your pay goes further. I dont even want to think of the horrors of reserve. That blows.

But I hope sine your at CAL you knew flying was boring when you did you long x-countries. Thats where I realized it but invested too much to just stop.

Wow. Can you and SFR ID yourselves somehow so I don't accidently ride on a ZED fare with you both?

I'd love to see the both of you "bored", FMC, A/P on, VNAV slave clowns would have reacted on a recent flight of mine in the mountains of South America. There was no Mommy or Daddy TRACON guiding the ring in your nose to one of 4 parallel runways, just a crappy radio and limited english controller clearing me out of protected airspace with a descent into the mountains.

Seriously, what are your backgrounds? What exactly changed from when your first had an interest in this job? Obviously the pay/retirement has changed, but crap has been happening in this industry since Ernest Gann wrote about flying in the 1930's. I ask this because I've run into more than a few guys that I question their motivation of entering this job. A few Military guys seem to have picked the flying billet durring a game of darts after the Academy or OCS/ROTC. Worst was a couple like this who went to AWACS at Tinker and seem to have done 14 hour flights in and out of there for a career. Many more seem to have been rich/inheritence kids with parents that chose something for Johnny to get him out of living in their basement for 45 years. Others really didn't read much about the career and were running from some other boring some like accounting at age 35. Suddenly they realize seniority sucks for an old FO and realize they screwed up. A few other types shrug their shoulders or say "so what?" when one of the more beautiful sunrises/sunsets/clouds/sky is pointed out to them (I'm talking once a year stuff, not Forest Gump every minute;)).

I'm personally leaning towards the theory that those who are board with flying are like fat, short rich guys that are married to a stunning wife but are bored. My guess is that they never knew what to do with it in the first place. Same goes for flying.

Double crew 747= boring. How I remember 1.2 legs.

If only we could have a 6 pack when it wasnt our turn.

My background... Long Dong and big fake knockers to play with.

Got the rolley on the arm and a porsche on dub, got the best weed cuz I got it goin on.....

But seriously, I am tickled that this will be voted dumbest thread in 2010, that is awesome!

I was trying to create a thread that would get a lot of replies. Mission completed.

I manipulate well.....

BTW, I will be non-reving on the MCO flight in the morning, come hang with me.

You guys all missed the point, I don't think flying a fighter jet is any more exciting than an airliner, in fact, I have never cared about military aviation, even as a kid.

A plane is a plane is a plane. FLYING isn't the hard part.

Flying anything is basically boring. I am talking about jobs that accomplish something and actually make you think and actually pay good. I am not talking about 200k per year, I am talking about liquid, 500k+

$500K might be optimistic. It's possible though.

It is funny how so many of you immediately talk about flying "something else" for fun..... typical pilots, always goes back to flying.....

Flying is awesome...but so is job stability and so are awesome benefits!

Latest resources

Back