Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
Jist wondering who wears a parachute. I've only flow a 2-33 amd dont see how I would fit in it with a rig on. I dont see being able to get out of the back seat with one on.

2-33 would be a tight fit for anybody wearing a chute. Plus, it would be a tricky thing to bail out of one anyway (no quick release canopy). Most high-performance glass ships, and some metal ships such as Blanik, has seats designed to accomodate chutes and also has quick release belts and canopies for relatively easy egress. Many do fly with chutes on in such ships. Plus it's a requirement when flying in any SSA competition.

I think that it all depends upon the type of soaring that you are doing. I normally wore a chute when we were thermaling - sometimes those gaggles could get pretty crowded. When we were flying the ridge we didn't - normally not enough altitude and you wouldn't have enough time to get it opened.

I've always thought an emergency chute was a great idea, and when I wore one I felt much better. It's important to do a mental escape drill every so often. Trim as needed, jettison canopy, unbuckle, bail out, D-ring.

I've often wondered why more GA guys don't wear them. They are light and comfy.

Gorilla said:
I've always thought an emergency chute was a great idea, and when I wore one I felt much better. It's important to do a mental escape drill every so often. Trim as needed, jettison canopy, unbuckle, bail out, D-ring.

I've often wondered why more GA guys don't wear them. They are light and comfy.

I think for the same reason that 2-33 guys don't wear them. The only GA aircraft I've ever thought I would have a chance to get out of was when I was doing aerobatics in a citabria or decathalon. Can you imagine what it would take to get the door open on a 172 or a cherokee if you had a problem. I'm sure its possible but it would be a lot of work and take a lot of time.

I guess it depends on what you're doing with the glider, aerobatics vs. training/local flying. I haven't seen anyone flying one of our club gliders wear a chute. We have several folks with their own high performance glass ships that do pack a chute though.

WateryGrave said:
I think for the same reason that 2-33 guys don't wear them. The only GA aircraft I've ever thought I would have a chance to get out of was when I was doing aerobatics in a citabria or decathalon. Can you imagine what it would take to get the door open on a 172 or a cherokee if you had a problem. I'm sure its possible but it would be a lot of work and take a lot of time.

True, the aircraft (or glider) must be set up with a door or canopy that has an emergency pin or some other mechanism to completely pop it free and have it sail off into the slipstream. There's always the chance you're gonna bonk the empennage, but if guys in WW2 could bail out of burning fighters successfully, it can't be any tougher on a C152.

Actually,,,,,most 15 meter ships depend on a chute as a seat cushon.....wear one as such....I would be hard pressed to get out in a high g situation.....I used to jump...so I think I know what is involved...

Joe

but if guys in WW2 could bail out of burning fighters successfully, it can't be any tougher on a C152.

Have you ever climbed out of an aircraft with a parachute rig and jumped?

Very few reasons exist to exit a Cessna 152. How many do you know of that have come apart in flight, or burst into flame? They usually don't get shot up or suffer heavy flack damage while in the traffic pattern.

Exiting a burning military aircraft that's been shot to pieces and is going to be destroyed, means necessity. No other choice. In a Cessna 152, virtually always the best choice is to land the airplane.

Getting the doors open in flight is tough enough. Managing to squeeze out is tough. Managing to do so while protecting the pack pins or the deployment handle(s) to preclude an out of sequence or early parachute deployment, is virtually impossible in such a case, and is indeed a matter of life or death. Add to that an aircraft descending on fire, probably out of control if the need to egress has arisen, and the chances of a successful exit and deployment are increadibly low. A fighter can roll back or lose the canopy. What common GA aircraft can do this, aside from some ag and aerobatic aircraft?

Add to that the need to be stable before deploying (I can attest personally to what happens when one isn't...a total malfunction with pack closure and a pilot chute in tow...almost a horseshoe malfunction)...and the fact that most people who carry emergency parachutes have never received training in their use, or actually made a parachute jump...and you have a recipe for bad things to happen. After all, look at the Cirrus and it's sales gimmick of the CAPS parachute system. It's a panic button, which is often used as much, and has often failed...but how many of those who buy it and use it have ever actually descended under a deployed canopy of any kind? Most who have canopy time wouldn't be deploying that parachute, they'd be flying the airplane, if they only knew...

I would, did you read the recent post about a net jets flight havine a mid air with a glider. He lived because he had a chute

Latest resources

Back