Do I have to get a 1st class medical?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoxFlyr

I am a FO for a 121 carrier and I got an email from someone who keeps track of our medical dates. I am over 40 years old and this guy says that now that the rules have changed and I have to get a medical every 6 months. I have an ATP but as an FO I am only exercising the privileges of a commercial pilot, am I not?, and would only need a 2nd class. Am I correct in my thinking on this, I've been to faa.gov and I don't really see any new rules. Do I have to get a 1st class every 6 months?

Not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but in case you somehow missed it every pilot flying 121 will need an ATP and a 1st class medical come August of this year.

It's still unclear as to whether or not every pilot will need a full type rating (as opposed to the SIC rating) on their respective equipment. My regional is typing (circle VMC only restriction) all FOs.

I did in fact miss it, that's why I asked the question. I couldn't find it on the faa website, guess I looked in the wrong place. Thanks for the help.

I did in fact miss it, that's why I asked the question. I couldn't find it on the faa website, guess I looked in the wrong place. Thanks for the help.

Sure thing. The ATP thing was pretty well publicized/documented, but the 1st class medical, perhaps not so much. Our mgmt team has been reminding us regularly of the rule changes that come this August.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back