• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

DL's regional partnerships show signs of stress

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
For whatever you think his opinion is worth, Jerry Atkin of Skywest says he believes there will be 2 or 3 "super" regionals (his words) in the next 10 years.

I'm not in management of regionals so he probably has a better opinion than me, but that would go against the whipsaw that regionals/majors have used so well.

Again, in the next 10 years there will be thousands of major pilots retiring. If you get the chance, go there! It is much better to work for the company that writes the check than it is a regional. Just check out the "Comair not sold thread".

Majors have shrunk quite a bit in the last 10 years. Barring any scope relief, which I don't see happening, there will be massive amounts of hiring with little downside. Now, the regionals, who have experienced massive growth, are now going through what the majors did in 9/11...ie: "we need to trim capacity"

Fortunately for pilots, whoever wants to go to a major (barring DUIs, accidents, no college degree, etc) will be able to in the next 5-10 years.

Life's better here.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back