• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Delta, Alaska Announce Seattle Expansion
By Delta Air Lines
SEATTLE, Oct. 8, 2012 — /PRNewswire/ --

Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) and Alaska Airlines (NYSE: ALK) will expand international service and customer enhancements in Seattle, growth that benefits customers of both airlines thanks to the alliance between the two carriers

The growth and customer enhancements include:

Proposed new nonstop Delta service between Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and Shanghai Pu Dong International Airport, pending approval by the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT).

Proposed new nonstop Delta service between Seattle and Haneda Airport in Tokyo, pending DOT approval.

The deployment of Delta's flagship Boeing 747-400 jet on flights between Seattle and Narita Airport in Tokyo, featuring a fully upgraded interior with full flat-bed seats in BusinessElite, individual in-flight entertainment in every seat throughout the aircraft, expanded overhead bins and other amenities.

Newly upgraded Boeing 767-300 aircraft on Delta's flights between Seattle and Paris, Beijing and Osaka, Japan, also offering full flat-bed seats in BusinessElite and upgraded amenities.

Additional nonstop Delta service between Seattle and John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York.

Upgraded BusinessElite service on all Delta Seattle-JFK flights to match the product and amenities of Delta's JFK service from Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Sea-Tac airport improvements including a new Delta Sky Club, new power ports throughout Delta's facilities, expanded ticket counters, lobby renovations and other improvements.

An ongoing partnership between Delta and Alaska that includes codesharing in Seattle and shared customer benefits including reciprocal lounge access and frequent flier programs.

"Delta's expansion in Seattle will link this important West Coast city even closer with key markets in Asia, boosting its economy, creating jobs and providing benefits to travelers across the Pacific Northwest region," said Richard Anderson, Delta's chief executive. "This kind of international growth is possible only because of our partnership with Alaska, and customers of both our airlines will benefit from this newly strengthened relationship."

"About 1,200 travelers connect on Alaska and Delta flights in Seattle every day," Alaska Airlines CEO Brad Tilden said. "We're very pleased to offer them a seamless flying experience, highlighted by our renowned customer service. We're also looking forward to providing travelers with new flying options to Asia on Delta that will feature significantly enhanced onboard amenities."

Read more here: http://www.heraldonline.com/2012/10/08/4321439/delta-alaska-announce-seattle.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Good thing the media was there to cover the computer kablooey-snafuey for AS.

I fail to see how Alaska Airlines is much involved in today's "big news".

It looks like Alaska will be picking up a new route (SEA-JFK) ??? That seems like more flying for Alaska to me.

I'm sure the -400 flying out of SEA to China is just being re-allocated. I would think the new route from SEA-JFK is new flying for Alaska. We haven't seen any new (growth) flying here at Delta since 2000 it seems.

It looks like Alaska will be picking up a new route (SEA-JFK) ??? That seems like more flying for Alaska to me.

I'm sure the -400 flying out of SEA to China is just being re-allocated. I would think the new route from SEA-JFK is new flying for Alaska. We haven't seen any new (growth) flying here at Delta since 2000 it seems.

Nope. DL will up the JFK to SEA flying to 5 flights a day, 4 of which will be 757s with Business Elite Seats in "First", which are close to lie flat, and an additional 767-300ER also. Then throw in a new 767ER nonstop to Shanghai in June, plus a possible nonstop to Tokyo Haneda on the 767, and upgrading current A330 nonstop to Tokyo Narita with a 744 with new lie flat seats and video mods. I'd say that is a good deal of growth for Delta at SEA, but I wonder where the A330 that was going to NRT will go? The largest contingent of DL pilots based in SEA fly the 330, and currently it just does mostly long trips via AMS and NRT from there. But, it seems the 767 pilot base there should grow, with up to 2 new Asia flights per day and a couple more to JFK.

And you're right, not much news for the AK guys. I was thinking a nonstop to Hilo? Maybe next year.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back