Dilema!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

711-24-7

I just became a CPT with a regional, yet I have also a very nice job offer to fly G200 in India with a type rating and PIC time. A two year contract. Now the dilema is to stay in States and finish my on-line college(16 credit hours left) and build 121 PIC time and move on to Netjets or Majors. Or take the contract job build PIC time making close to 100G's a year and pay off my flight school and come back after two years with some change in my pocket and try to get a job with someone. Any Help with the Decision.............

I have the same questions as you but in a different boat. I am flying overseas and want to go back to the states really bad but the money is keeping me here although life would be alot better if I were back in the states. At first it was nice to fly overseas, fly to different places etc but after 6 months I started missing what we take for granted in the states(way of life etc) even though alot of people complain about it. It's a tough decision to make......

Go make almost tax free money overseas ... Pay off your loans and finish you degree online over in India. Ive been doing the overseas contract gig since August and love it. Prior to August, I had no desire to go live in third world countries and fly. But its really a lot of fun. I love my paychecks and the experience. Getting out of debt (student loan), buying toys (see my lifted 08 F150 avatar) and saving money at the same time as a CRJ FO is unheard of. If your single and have no real commitments back home, go for it. Otherwise it will be tough... Just make sure your contract specifically states you will get PIC time as it sounds like you will mainly be an FO.

Thank you both for the info!! Especially the PIC specific part on the contract. I am told it is not on the paper yet, the first six months is right seat to get use to stuff and build time and than it will be pic time after that. I will make sure that it does get on the piece of paper. Again I really appriciate your inputs. Do you guys mind if I PM you if I have any more questions?

Do you have the discipline to finish your degree from overseas, with a minimum of eight or nine days off, fluctuating schedules, less-than-US-standard living conditions to study in and the distractions of being in a different country?

If you have the discipline, I'd say go for it. Otherwise, I'd say you are a fool to give up Part 121 experience, while being in a more comfortable environment to finish your degree, without distractions.

IMHO, of course. No disrespect meant because I was in your same boat, and it took me a few years to get those last few hours finished because of life distractions. I blew a chance at AA because I didn't have my degree completed when I should have. I would have 25 years seniority at AA, right now, if I hadn't put it off.

Besides, the money isn't really tax free...Read another thread going on about that in the Regionals section.

Last edited:
Go for the adventure and take the job overseas to broaden your professional and personal horizons before life commitments (marriage, kids, etc) make it impossible.

I would recommend staying in the USA until you get 1000 PIC Part 121 time. Then you can go overseas. Without 1000 Part 121 PIC it would be difficult to get back to the USA if the overseas job doesn't work out.

I would say any contract that doesn't start you as a Captain right away will only keep making excuses to delay your time in the right seat. They make that promise only to lure you over then you are stuck.

Typhoonpilot

Typhoonpilot seems to have made my point a little more eloquently.

If you want a US major airline job, you will need the 1,000 hours of US Part 121 PIC time.

He is also correct in telling that contractors make all kinds of promises to get you there. Be sure everything that you expect is in writing on a contract, and even then don't think they won't change their minds on a whim.

Have you ever heard this? "You don't like it? Sue me."

My advice? Stay here, get the 1,000 hours Part 121 PIC, finish you degree, keep your willie dry (no kids) then go for the foreign adventure before you have a wife and kids. If you don't like it, you are well qualified to come back to the States.

Last edited:
As far as I know it doens't have to be US Part 121 PIC. Any airline PIC counts or am I wrong?

Yes, you can PM me anytime.....

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back