Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Difference between service ceiling and max allowable altitude?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

D_G

The caravan POH shows 22,800 service ceiling, and 25,000 max allowable altitude.

Thanks.

Doesn't service cieling have something to do with a Vx or Vy climb or like 100fpm???

Someone help me out here...Give-a-brotha-a-hand!

-mini

Service ceiling is where climb rate decreases to 50 fpm under standard conditions.

Max allowable altitude is regulatory, since the Caravan doesn't have drop-down oxygen masks. You probably wouldn't be able to climb that high anyway, but if you were able to, you couldn't go above FL250.

Can you guys point me to where you got the 50 fpm figure? It's 100 everyone I've seen. Doesn't seem to be defined in the FARs or AIM, though.

Don't forget that the service ceiling is also based on a max gross weight takeoff. As fuel is burned off, the aircraft is able to climb higher - above the max gross weight service ceiling. At that point, the maximum allowable altitude becomes limiting. Case in point, take the Gulfstream G100 as an example, at a max gross weight takeoff, the airplane is capable of climbing to approxiamately FL410. As the flight continues and fuel is consumed, the airplane can "step climb" up to FL450 - its certified ceiling and maximum operating altitude.

'Sled

My understanding is:

Service Ceiling (for a twin): the density altitude where you achieve a 100 FPM climb rate with both engines operating.

Single Engine Service Ceiling (one engine inop and feathered): the density altitude where you achieve a 50 FPM climb rate.

Absolute Ceiling: the density altitude where the rate of climb is 0. Vx=Vy here (zero angle of climb and zero rate of climb).

I got this stuff from the Jepp Multi Engine Manual.

you need a high altitude endorsement to fly an aircraft that has a service ceiling or max operating altitude, whichever is lower, above 25,000 msl. in The caravan you don't need one.

Latest resources

Back