Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to seek the advise of the knowlegable folks on this board about engagement rings.. I know some of you have lots of experience with this subject. I've been searching and really want to know if getting a VS1 or VS2 diamond is worth the greater expense than an SI1 diamond. Keep in mind that if I did go for the SI1 it would be a near colorless stone with a very good cut. I have heard that the imperfections are not noticible unless under a 10X microscope, but some may be if she compares her stone to a friends.

Please advise!

It all depends on the individual stones. You need to get what you are comfortable with and what she will be... VS1 and VS2 are almost "investment grade" and you pay a hell of a lot more for them. Your lady will probably be happier with something that looks almost as good, and is BIGGER (as size does matter here).

Also, do yourself a favor and look at Clarity Enhanced. OVED has some really great stones at a fraction of the cost of non-CE. Plus, again SIZE comes into play here.

-CaKe

I've bought all my wife's diamonds from the same vendor in Manchester, VT. To a stone, each one I've bought is more colorless with small inclusions. If you can't see it with the naked eye, you can't see it period. She even put the diamonds I've purchased up against near flawless stones and I couldn't tell the difference.

My point - if someone is gonna look at your wife's diamond and make a comment about a small inclusion while looking through a jeweler's loop, tell 'em to fck off.

It's really about your future wife, if she is high maintenance and feels the need to show off her ring to everybody, then size is more important than quality. If she is lower maintenance and doesn't feel the need to have everybody gawk at her ring, then I would go with a much higher quality diamond. My wife opted for the higher quality and to this day, 2 years later, people still tell her how beautiful her ring is. (It really does sparkle more than regular diamonds).
Goodluck

thanks for your responses...

Has anyone purcahses SI1 or SI2 and are you happy with the decision? I would only purcahse a SI1 stone that is near colorless and has a very good cut.

thanks for your responses...

Has anyone purcahses SI1 or SI2 and are you happy with the decision? I would only purcahse a SI1 stone that is near colorless and has a very good cut.

you marrying the chick on your avatar?

CE

The one I bought my wife is an SI1 near colorless .33 carat princess cut. Her anniversary band has like a dozen smaller diamonds totalling .6 carats and same color/clarity. She's not a flashy chick, but loves her jewelry, however she stated her wedding band, which was handmade (like mine), was what she wanted as her "center piece"...not the engagement ring.

I bought a SI2 or whatever you call it. IT was actually more of an anniversary band totalling .75ct
It sparkles like crazy, you really can tell the difference.

Check our Bluenile.com. You can pick the diamond from the 4c's to the mount. I used it 2 years ago for my wife's ring. I was very happy with it and she loved it. Hell, we are still married!!! I was a little nervouse abut making the purchase like that over the internet, but I was able to get a little bigger diamond and a better quality diamond for my money then what I could get at local jewelery stores.

All I know of are the 5 C's.

Carat
Color
Clarity
Cut
Certificate

...don't want to be married either. Being single is much more fun!

Latest resources

Back