diabetes and PPL/INS/ME

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MJCEK

I have what is known as type 1.5 diabetes...

i take 1 insulin shot at night and a Byetta shot (protein) once before breakfast and lunch...I also take 1 actos pill per day...

can i get a medical approval so i can get my PPL/Instrument and Multi-engine?

help!!!

B. Individuals may exercise only the privileges of a student, recreational, or private pilot certificate

does a PPL cert. INCLUDE an isnt. rating and multiengine? or can i just get a basic PPL??

Pardon my asking, but what is Type 1.5 diabetes? I have Type II and have never heard of Type 1.5. I have been able to control my sugar levels with diet and exersize only, so I have no restrictions on my First Class Medical. Yes , you can get an Inst. and ME ratings. The limitation is the PPL. No Comm. or ATP certificate.

Last edited:
NoahWerka said:
Pardon my asking, but what is Type 1.5 diabetes? I have Type II and have never heard of Type 1.5. I have been able to control my sugar levels with diet and exersize only, so I have no restrictions on my First Class Medical. Yes , you can get an Inst. and ME ratings. The limitation is the PPL. No Comm. or ATP certificate.

The amount of insulin my pancreas makes is more than what a type 1 produces, but less than your typical type 2. There is another number as well that is different than a type 1 or 2 but I cant think of it off the top of my head...

Type 1.5 is a "new" type of diabetes that is showing up in people. I hadn't heard of it before my endocrinologist told me about it either...

Latest resources

Back