• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

El Guapo

Mile high club member
Hey guys and girls,

My in-laws have a couple of dogs that were recently attacked in their own back yard by two pittbulls. These dogs sustained several lacerations. We took them to the vet and they were stitched up and given medications.

The dogs require attentive care to fully recover. The Vet says that their wounds need to be washed once a day and given medication three times a day.

Unfortunately, my wife and I live in a small apartment and my in-laws are out of the country. I have called the SPCA and asked to put them up for adoption, but the odds look grim and they might have to put them to sleep. They are about nine and seven years old, mutts, and are not the most attractive dogs, but they are very sweet.

I would sure hate to have to put these dogs to sleep. If I could find someone in the DFW area to adopt them that would be great!!

They have lived out doors all their life. I'd have them cleaned and groomed for whoever wants to take them in. If anyone would be willing to take them in, or know of anyone that will take them in please drop me an e-mail. [email protected]

Thanks in advance,

El Guapo;)

Not exactly sure how the pittbulls got in because I didn't witness the ordeal. But the neighbor said she saw the whole thing and I think they got in through a hole that was dug underneath the fence. We found out last night when we went to feed them. They were bleeding around the neck and limping.

El Guapo

El Guapo,

Apologies in advance if this sounds harsh, but your in-laws took on a responsibility when they took the dogs as their own, whether it was an adoption or a purchase. I think it's admirable to try to find loving homes for them as you are doing here, and I hope that works out. It could be a hard sell though considering the maintenance of the injuries.

Having said that, I don't consider the SPCA to be an option. These dogs belong to your in-laws, and they are fully responsible for their care and nurturing. To have them face possible euthanasia is unconscionable in my opinion. I think back to my own dog who died several years ago. I would have done anything to keep him alive. In fact, I tried. Unfortunately it didn't work out. It was hard enough to put him down when he was faced with certain death. I can't imagine the guilt I would have felt if he had been operable, but I just didn't have the means to care for him.

Again, I'm sorry for the lecture because I think you are doing the right thing in trying to find them a home here. But your in-laws need to rethink their priorities as well as the SPCA option . They are dog owners, and the dogs are dependent upon them for their recovery.

wtf

you live in the dfw area and you keep your dogs outdoors year round. i feel for your dogs and you should be hung

Go stay at your in-laws place for the duration or tell the in-laws to come home. If you and they really love these dogs, it's an easy decision.

I agree. Very easy solution that requires little if any thought. The dogs belong to them (inlaws) and I am pretty sure that when they left for vacation they had NO intentions of returning home to find there dogs gone, given away, or put to sleep...... (food 4 thought) - I feel that they (inlaws) should be the ones who "decide" what to do with the dogs that "they" own...

good luck

3 5 0

rogerroger

What's wrong with the dogs living outside in DFW?

I lived in central FL for two years in a house without AC. I had a truck with no AC. I worked in a welding shop-steel building-could not have a fan on me while welding cause it would blow the shielding gas away and mess up the weld. There were times when I would stop welding and ask my helper if I was on fire-no joke-I usually wasn't-I was just that hot.

There are lots of people that don't have ac for one reason or another-you want to hang all of them to? All of our guys over in the "sand box" are living outside year round....

Then again, maybe you weren't talking about the heat, what's your reason for not wanting the dogs to be outside?

B

I hope you don't treat all your family that way. What's so tough about cleaning a cut and giving medicine?

Latest resources

Back