destruction of unions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

A cautionary tale regarding unions particularly in Wisconsin. Many may not like the messenger (Rachel Maddow of MSNBC), but worth listening to as Wisconsin will be the model for the continuing destruction of our jobs nationally that began in earnest in the '80s.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26315908/

Regarding the economy it has been said, "as goes California so goes the country." However regarding labor, "as goes Wisconsin so goes the country." In just one year the teachers' union membership fell by 45%, and the second largest union fell by 55%.

Loss of good paying jobs and loss of political clout in a downward spiral.

Last edited:
Bull. Public employees on the taxpayer's dime have job security, pay, benefits, and retirement plans that far exceed their private counterparts. If my customer doesnt think that my Alpa airline provides a good product at a fair price then they can simply walk over to Jetblue and support that company instead. We as taxpayers have no such choice, we are forced to pay and when govt employees get more expensive we taxpayers cant just switch to a cheaper competitor, can we?

When a private sector company negotiates against a union, the CEO of the comapny is ultimately interested in the profitability of that company. The higher wage/benefits he gives a group, the less profitable his company will be, to the point where he could lose his job, or he and the board who are all stockholders, will lose money as the stock decreases in value. If union demands get too crazy, a few week long strike is more acceptable then unsustainable higher wages.

When a public sector employer negotiates with a union, they are more concerned with the union not striking then with the fiscal aspects of the transaction. A governor or mayor allowing a strike is more politically costly then just giving them what they want. That's why most of these negotiations go down to the absolute last minute. The unions know they are going to get what they want...it goes to the last minute and the governor looks like a hero for averting the teacher's strike.

public sector unions need to go away.

Enjoy paying $6500 annually for property taxes for a modest home? move to WI. Public unions are way out of line with the private sector, its disgusting. Go Walker, get er done

public sector unions need to go away.

I couldn't agree more. They would like nothing more than to try to compare themselves to a private sector union employee, and unfortunately it works on many. They are about as similar to an Pilot Union as we are to the MLBPA or the NFLPA. If we overstep our bounds our company can go bankrupt, do you really thing the government employee is worried about that?

I couldn't disagree more. Public sector unions are absolutely necessary. The problem has been executive pay increasing 400% in a decade while private sector labor rates have remained flat while enduring standard inflation rates. So comparing public sector unions with the private sector is a bad comparison. Failure of leadership. It is insane. Read: insane to think teachers are OVER-paid in this country. It's the wrong ethic and no wonder we have so many bad teachers. Any good teacher can do a lot of other things-
So the bumper sticker rings true still.
Think education is expensive: try living in an ignorant society.
Money isn't everything in education- it will not substitute for drive and discipline. But it is necessary.

Reform the system. Sure. Take away collective bargaining? That's UNCONSTITUTIONAL. It's legal for a reason.

Kick Walker to the curb- corporations are not our overlords. If you don't like people having the power in america- go move someplace not called a democratic republic.

I couldn't disagree more. Public sector unions are absolutely necessary. The problem has been executive pay increasing 400% in a decade while private sector labor rates have remained flat while enduring standard inflation rates. So comparing public sector unions with the private sector is a bad comparison. Failure of leadership. It is insane. Read: insane to think teachers are OVER-paid in this country. It's the wrong ethic and no wonder we have so many bad teachers. Any good teacher can do a lot of other things-
So the bumper sticker rings true still.
Think education is expensive: try living in an ignorant society.
Money isn't everything in education- it will not substitute for drive and discipline. But it is necessary.

Reform the system. Sure. Take away collective bargaining? That's UNCONSTITUTIONAL. It's legal for a reason.

Kick Walker to the curb- corporations are not our overlords. If you don't like people having the power in america- go move someplace not called a democratic republic.

Private schools take in less per student and preformed better. They get better teachers for less money. Why? I would guess it is because if they don't perform they would go under and bad teachers are fired. Teachers do it because they love it not for the govt bennifits.

Private schools take in less per student and preformed better. They get better teachers for less money. Why? I would guess it is because if they don't perform they would go under and bad teachers are fired. Teachers do it because they love it not for the govt bennifits.

I disagree that private school teachers are better than public school teachers. My kids go to private school and there are many more dynamics at work other than the quality of the teachers (demographics, parent involvement/investment, social class, etc). There are good and bad teachers on both sides.

Latest resources

Back