Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mogus

Eh?
Went down to Nellis AFB today to take my DODMERB medical for the service academies. Did well except for vision. 20/17 uncorrected vision. Passed Red Lens Test, Cover Test, Ocular Motility (or whatever it is), but failed the depth perception with the circles. I got the first two right (after much concentration), but after that it seemed like my mind was playing games and I couldn't tell anymore. Tried it again after the other guy went, but still no luck. I had surgery to straighten out my eyes about 7 years ago, so that may be why. Doc had no sympathy, saying "You don't have depth perception, you don't fly Air Force jets. It's not waiverable unless you go to the Secretary of the Air Force." I thought I had normal depth perception. I fly small aircraft and have no problem judging distances, altitude, when to flare, etc., but for the life of me I have almost an impossible time telling which circle is closest. My questions are: If I want to fly in the military, is this a sign that I should instead look into civilian flying (which I'd rather not do), or can I take an alternate test that I might be better suited for? Are there any tips or tricks to help the circle stand out a little more? Have any of you guys had trouble with it? Is the doctor right? Can only the Secretary of the Air Force waiver that? Is there even a remote chance of that happening without being his nephew? Thanks for your insight.

Last edited:
The secret is to relax your eyes and not stare for too long. That being said, it is never the 2 outside circles, always the 2,3, or 4th.

There is a waiver. I'm on it. They also enrolled me into a test group, which means every 2 years, I go back to brooks to retake the depth perception (with another eye exam) to see if there is any change. Every time I go back, I do better on the tests. I believe its because I'm more familiar with them then I was before.
Many people have trouble with the circles. Just knowing that it's never the far right or left circle helps out. Also, they can give you a manual dp test. Its a little box with three vertical sticks, left center and right, of different widths and different distances from the front. The technician flips a switch and the sicks move, you tell which one is closer than the other two. Its a simple contraption and there are a finite number of iterations. If you can look at one for a while you can figure out what they are. (not that I'm saying you should). Also, there is a contraption they can use in the "lane". Its a long rectangular box with two sticks in the middle. You look down this corridor of sorts and use a remote control to move one of the sticks until you think it is even with the stationary stick and the tech measures how far you are off.
Thats it. Try to get on that waiver, its pretty common. Good luck.

SG

I'll second that. I failed the depth perception test badly the first time during my commissioning physical. Turns out one eye was stronger than the other, so I just needed a nice little eyeglass prescription. Went back with glasses and sailed right through it.

By the way, DODMERB SUCKS A$$!!!!!!!!! Went several rounds with that bureaucracy 14 years ago....but I'm not bitter. Don't worry too much about what they say now, cuz the junior year physical is the one that officially counts for your medical status. I was 'commission-only' upon entry, but pilot-qualified just 3 years later. I still needed a waiver for something else, but it was far easier to work with DODMERB once you're "in the system" versus on applicant status. They're still jerks, though. Hope this helps.

Peace,
DP

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice...just wishing I'd looked into this before getting up at 5:00 AM to miss school for a two hour drive and an even longer physical. My right eye is slightly stronger than my left--20/17 in the right...20/20 in the left, so that could also be it. By the way, what are the implications of failing the test? What advantages does someone have who passes the test with ease over someone who doesn't? I read a post avbug made about how people with poor depth perception shouldn't be flying, since it's critical in every phase of flight, specifically in traffic avoidance, yet I almost always spot the traffic before my instructor.

"I read a post avbug made about how people with poor depth perception shouldn't be flying, since it's critical in every phase of flight, specifically in traffic avoidance, yet I almost always spot the traffic before my instructor."

I think depth perception is important during every phase of flight, however at night, it becomes more important. Another factor to think about is speed. I wish I had a nickel for everyone I knew personally or heard about that washed out of the T-38 syllabus for landings. Why were they having troubles? You guessed it, depth perception. Depth perception is a strange animal that may not show up flying a T-6 or a Tweet but becomes pronounced when you are flying a 170 knot approach to a 140 knot touchdown. Add night with only one little landing light and depth perception becomes extremely important.

Getting a waiver is dependent on who the waiver authority is. The level of importance is equal to the level of the authority. Anything waiverable locally has a pretty good chance given a good reason. Going to the numbered Air Force level is possible but tougher. Anything MAJCOM or higher means "don't even ask." Secretary of the Air Force means "yeah right." (Those are technical terms by the way)

For me, moving the card with the circles on it helped me distiguish the circle that stood out. Maybe if you retake the test you can try that. I got 20 arcseconds on that depth perception test.

I took the depth perception yesterday for about my 13th time.

These techniques help me when taking the test.

1) First, don't look up at the ceiling (ie, the bright lights) prior to taking the test. If you do, wait a minute or two to let you eyes adjust before taking the test.

2) If you lean (rock) your head slightly from side to side while taking the test, you may see the slightly offset circle.

3) As someone already mentioned, the answer is alway one of the circles in the middle and never the ones on the outside.

It's my understanding that depth perception is just one factor in judging speed and closure with a runway...the cues from your peripheral vision play a hugh role in landings. For example, landing with NVGs pretty much sucks as you lose all peripheral vision which help you determine closure and ground rush.

AxisVDP,

You can edit any post you make, by logging in, then clicking the "Edit" button on the bottom right corner of your post. After you are finished editing, click "Save Changes" and your done. You can also delete a post.

Yahtz

"I think depth perception is important during every phase of flight, however at night, it becomes more important. Another factor to think about is speed. I wish I had a nickel for everyone I knew personally or heard about that washed out of the T-38 syllabus for landings. Why were they having troubles? You guessed it, depth perception. Depth perception is a strange animal that may not show up flying a T-6 or a Tweet but becomes pronounced when you are flying a 170 knot approach to a 140 knot touchdown. Add night with only one little landing light and depth perception becomes extremely important"

I have to disagree with the above opinion. I admittedly, have substandard depth perception, especially without glasses. I have 20/20 and 20/70 vision left/right. I land the B-52 exceptionally well (a difficult aircraft to land well), and believe it's because of good technique and peripheral vision. Also, depth perception is less important at night in my opinion because everyone's dp is reduced, putting you on level ground and with NVGs, dp is non-existent.

SG

Latest resources

Back