• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was wondering the same thing, except I haven't heard of the banking it for later part.

No, we used to be able to bank it, but not anymore. But, if you are short of time, you can borrow up to 30 hours and then pay it back at a rate of 5 hours per month back to the airline.

Hey Red, I talked to one of your Capts in ATL yesterday and he said the Hawaii stuff is on the shelf and the ETOPS request was essentially dropped recently for you guys. He said any INTL flying for SWA (not AT) won't happen until 2015 at the earliest because of the lack of a reservation system that can handle it. Have you heard any of that? He was asking me when DL was hiring because his nephew is an Expressjet Capt and he thought it would be a good move for him eventually.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Does Delta limit your credit per month and make you bank it for later? I know some majors did that in the past wondering if they still do.

No, that happened during the furloughs after 9-11. There are average line values which fluctuate depending on the time of year. You can pick up time 15 hours above the average line value, but you also can swap smaller trips for bigger trips to add time each month, if it is available.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You do have the option to bank if you want. I was able to bank 20 hours while on 1st year pay which I can now cash it at a much higher rate.

Does Delta limit your credit per month and make you bank it for later? I know some majors did that in the past wondering if they still do.

If you have a big month you do not have to bank it. You can bank some time over 80 hours for the month I think.

There is a variable max pick-up each month. They establish an average line value for each category. The ALV can range from 72 to 84 hours. The max pickup is ALV + 15, but that doesn't apply to pilot-pilot swaps, so you can effectively fly up to the FAR limits if you want to work the system. You can bank time if you want to, but there is no automatic banking of time unless you have a negative bank balance (you can go to -30 in your bank to fill up a low month). If you have negative bank, your first 5 hours over 80 automatically go into the bank.

All the rumors I have heard this week and all claimed to be Delta pilots, training department folks, etc, have all hinted to hiring sooner rather than later. On Delta net it was stated the DC-9 was staying through 2013 and the first arrival of the 717 in August. Which I would believe should spark some hiring. My guess is sometime in 2013 anywhere between Jan-Dec. I do think it will start near the first half but nobody knows I have realized.

If I believed every rumor I heard Delta would of hired 500 pilots by now. I now just sit patiently and wait until the window opens, update my app, and network, and hopefully will be given the opportunity to interview.

Hey Red, I talked to one of your Capts in ATL yesterday and he said the Hawaii stuff is on the shelf and the ETOPS request was essentially dropped recently for you guys. He said any INTL flying for SWA (not AT) won't happen until 2015 at the earliest because of the lack of a reservation system that can handle it. Have you heard any of that? He was asking me when DL was hiring because his nephew is an Expressjet Capt and he thought it would be a good move for him eventually.

Bye Bye---General Lee

True story. We've been profitable for 40 straight years without ETOPS. I think we can limp thru 3 more. We've got tons of irons in the fire and that one came out. I think it's a smart move considering are fleet and other near intl options. I think it's good that Gary was able to tap the breaks on such a high profile decision if proper infrastructure is not in place.

Last edited:
You do have the option to bank if you want. I was able to bank 20 hours while on 1st year pay which I can now cash it at a much higher rate.

Hmmmm. I guess I haven't used that "bank" option in awhile. When there was a lot of downgrading and displacements after 9-11 a lot of people took a quick 30 hour "loan" and then paid it back at the lower rate after the displacement. I guess you did it the other way.

Bye Bye---General Lee

True story. We've been profitable for 40 straight years without ETOPS. I think we can limp thru 3 more. We've got tons of irons in the fire and that one came out. I think it's a smart move considering are fleet and other near intl options. I think it's good that Gary was able to tap the breaks on such a high profile decision if proper infrastructure is not in place.

So, Hawaii and ETOPS is currently dead for you guys? Wow. That Capt I talked to said you guys were "late to the game" in that arena anyway. I guess now you could focus more on Latin America and the Caribbean in 2015 if you get a new Reservation system. Sounds like GK folded his cards in the right time for Hawaii. Oh well. Aloha!

Bye Bye---General Lee

All the rumors I have heard this week and all claimed to be Delta pilots, training department folks, etc, have all hinted to hiring sooner rather than later. On Delta net it was stated the DC-9 was staying through 2013 and the first arrival of the 717 in August. Which I would believe should spark some hiring. My guess is sometime in 2013 anywhere between Jan-Dec. I do think it will start near the first half but nobody knows I have realized.

If I believed every rumor I heard Delta would of hired 500 pilots by now. I now just sit patiently and wait until the window opens, update my app, and network, and hopefully will be given the opportunity to interview.

Eventually it will happen, the retirement numbers are there. But, the economy is the thing holding up a lot of extra expansion. There are options to hold on to a lot of the older planes if the economy is doing better, but that has yet to be seen. Hopefully Europe will get better and China won't implode, and the US sees a large uptick. Otherwise, status quo IMO. Then hiring would be based solely on retirements, which will be significant in a few years.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back