Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta to add fuel surcharges to buddy pass tickets!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Airboss

Delta to add fuel surcharges to buddy pass tickets.

Delta has announced that effective Tuesday, April 15, 2008, fuel surcharges of $10 - $25 each way will be added to all Family & Friends certificates, also known as buddy passes. According to Delta, the continued rise of oil to more than $100 per barrel is behind its decision to add fuel surcharges to the buddy pass tickets.

There will be three different surcharges based on the traveler’s itinerary. The surcharges are:

$10 each way for travel within the 48 U.S. states or between the 48 U.S. states and Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands.

$15 each way for travel between Alaska or Hawaii, the 48 U.S. states, Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands.

$25 each way for travel between Canada and the 50 U.S. states, Puerto Rico or the Virgin Islands and for all other travel including transoceanic, Latin America, the Caribbean and Mexico.

Applicable taxes will be added as well. Travel itineraries with stopovers will be charged additional fees. A stopover is a stay at an intermediate point for more than four hours for domestic itineraries (including Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands) and more than 24 hours for international itineraries.

For example, if a buddy pass passenger travels from LAX to CDG with a connection in ATL (a stay less than 24 hours) and continues on to CDG, the surcharge added to the one-way fare would be $25. However, if the same passenger travels from LAX to CDG, stops in ATL for two days, then continues on to CDG, two surcharges will be added to the one-way fare: $10 domestic for LAX-ATL and $25 international for ATL-CDG. An additional surcharge(s) would apply for the return trip.

These surcharges do not apply to yield fare, ZED Fare or industry discount (ID) tickets for travel on other airlines.

Because the seat was going to be empty anyways.

That's fine, but if the flight is full, boarding priority should go to whoever paid the most, including buddy passers. A fuel surcharge along with regular buddy pass fees can sometimes approach search engine super saver fares. If that's ever the case, and a buddy passer pays more than a "rev" pax, the buddy passer should get on first.

That's fine, but if the flight is full, boarding priority should go to whoever paid the most, including buddy passers. A fuel surcharge along with regular buddy pass fees can sometimes approach search engine super saver fares. If that's ever the case, and a buddy passer pays more than a "rev" pax, the buddy passer should get on first.

So your buddy should bump mainline employees, retirees, and everyone else? I don't think so.

Last edited:
How about your buddy buys a discount ticket, pays about the same and has a confirmed seat. You know... the sensible thing.

I don't even let people know that I have buddy passes because it's almost impossible to get on. Most the buddy pass riders I've seen lately don't need to be on an airplane anyway. The other day I heard some buddy passers talking back and forth about a delay. They were actually complaining about a delay (wx induced) and running down the airline. Then they were given their seats before boarding because of an unusually light pax count. The two complainers and their son...young Tupac.:rolleyes:

I don't even let people know that I have buddy passes because it's almost impossible to get on. Most the buddy pass riders I've seen lately don't need to be on an airplane anyway. The other day I heard some buddy passers talking back and forth about a delay. They were actually complaining about a delay (wx induced) and running down the airline. Then they were given their seats before boarding because of an unusually light pax count. The two complainers and their son...young Tupac.:rolleyes:

So, you're saying the little kid was a gifted poet and aspiring actor?

Latest resources

Back