• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Spanks Servicemen!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gotta love that instant retraction. sometimes the shortest point between two points is media exposure.

Having served, I deplore DL's actions.

Most servicemen on my flights are put in First Class if seats are open, and that happens often. This whole baggage deal will probably change due to this coverage. Try not to deplore too much Captjax, instead just relax with your pax.

OYS

Is there anything positive about Delta's image in this post-bankruptcy era? They only run 500 radio commercials per day (since the AT/SWA merger) in ATL reminding people that DAL is the hometown airline and that they had to bring the customer service redcoats back.

Last edited:
Press Release Source: Delta Air Lines On Wednesday June 8, 2011, 1:00 pm
ATLANTA, June 8, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines today increased its free checked baggage allotment for U.S. Military traveling on orders in Economy Class to four checked bags.

Delta's revised baggage policy also allows U.S. military personnel traveling on orders in First and Business Class to check up to five bags at no charge. This change also adds dependents traveling with active military on orders. Each bag may weigh up to 70 lbs. (32 kg) and measure up to 80 linear inches (203 cm), which offers added flexibility over the standard 50 lbs. and 62 linear inches (157 cm) allotment. Because of weight, balance and space constraints, Delta Connection carriers accept up to four bags at no charge.

For personal travel, active military presenting military identification may now check up to two bags weighing 50 pounds (23 kg) or less and measuring 62 inches (158 linear cm) or less in combined length, width and height without charge.

Previously, Delta's policy allotted three free checked bags in Economy Class and four in First and Business Class for military members traveling on orders.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Press Release Source: Delta Air Lines On Wednesday June 8, 2011, 1:00 pm
ATLANTA, June 8, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Delta Air Lines today increased its free checked baggage allotment for U.S. Military traveling on orders in Economy Class to four checked bags.

Delta's revised baggage policy also allows U.S. military personnel traveling on orders in First and Business Class to check up to five bags at no charge. This change also adds dependents traveling with active military on orders. Each bag may weigh up to 70 lbs. (32 kg) and measure up to 80 linear inches (203 cm), which offers added flexibility over the standard 50 lbs. and 62 linear inches (157 cm) allotment. Because of weight, balance and space constraints, Delta Connection carriers accept up to four bags at no charge.

For personal travel, active military presenting military identification may now check up to two bags weighing 50 pounds (23 kg) or less and measuring 62 inches (158 linear cm) or less in combined length, width and height without charge.

Previously, Delta's policy allotted three free checked bags in Economy Class and four in First and Business Class for military members traveling on orders.

Bye Bye--General Lee

This is all well and good, but it's a bit too late.

If management teams at the legacy carriers would empower their employees to "do the right thing" rather than spanking them for thinking on their own, perhaps they'd get just a little less bad press.

This is overblown. The servicemen will be rembursed when they file their travel claims. Servicemen typically pay out of their pockets for misc. items when traveling and are rembursed later. So in the long run, Delta wasn't charging the Soldiers, they were charging the government. The government collects enough taxes from the airlines and airline tickets that I have no problem with the government paying for the cost of the service they are purchasing.

Overblown? Maybe for some rich Navy P3 NFO. As an officer of Marines I find it disgusting. - and I'm willing to be I'm not alone.

Latest resources

Back