Delta pilots just rattling sabres?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JimG

So....is Delta's Pilot Union serious about a strike, or is this just sabre rattling for negotiations?

We leave for a much needed vacation in the Dominican Republic the 31st of March and my wife is getting concerned about booking alternative flights.

If they go, when is the plan, and how long will it take The White House to step in and put them back in the sky?

JimG said:
If they go, when is the plan, and how long will it take The White House to step in and put them back in the sky?

If the Judge throws out the Delta Pilot's contract they are no longer bound under the Railway Labor Act. The White House could do nothing.

After reading the article about Delta's executives seeking golden parachutes when the workers take deep paycuts, I wish they do walk. Golden Chutes for the same executives that come up with stupid azz ideas and run the airline to the ground? WALK....

I seriously doubt that Delta pilots would walk. I think they'll fold to management with some kind of superficial face-saving figleaf. ALPA has no cards to play anymore except to shut the airline down. NW ALPA will fold too. No one wants to be the first to put themselves out of jobs . . . . and management know that. Neither Grinsteen nor Stenland believes ALPA will shut them down.

JimG said:
We leave for a much needed vacation in the Dominican Republic the 31st of March and my wife is getting concerned about booking alternative flights.

Sorry, Jim -- you're probably not going to get much travel planning advice here. There are too many pilots worried about their careers, their families, and their paychecks. They really don't care about your vacation.

81Horse said:
Sorry, Jim -- you're probably not going to get much travel planning advice here. There are too many pilots worried about their careers, their families, and their paychecks. They really don't care about your vacation.

I'm sorry, I understand completely, and didn't mean to trivialize the situation at all. I have friends who are Delta pilots and flight attendants and they don't know which way this is going either.

I sure don't want to see any of them hurt.

This question came up while I was watching the local news this morning while logged on here and I thought I'd ask, knowing there were other Delta pilots here and get their input.

dsee8driver said:
After reading the article about Delta's executives seeking golden parachutes when the workers take deep paycuts, I wish they do walk. Golden Chutes for the same executives that come up with stupid azz ideas and run the airline to the ground? WALK....

The problem is the Exec's still get the golden chutes and the employees get the shaft if they do strike. Organized labor has no power in America anymore.

I've got a flight planned as well..spent $1500 on airfare for the family. I can't believe I didn't research this better. The thought never crossed my mind.

If the strike happens, when could it occur?

If the strike happens, does the airline keep my money and tell me to f off? Will they try to get me a flight on a different airline?

Thanks for any info. I'm just trying to figure out plan B if it occurs.

If the arbitrators throw out the pilot's contract, a strike is very likely. First meeting is on the 16th or 22nd. Pilots and management can still come to an agreement prior to arbitration, but if the ruling goes against the pilots, they WILL strike. The DALPA message board is full of angry posts.

No strike, nope, no way. Give up sending little Tabitha to private school and also the summer horseback riding camp? No way, DALPA will fold like a used up deck of cards. The boys in the Corporate boardroom know Alpa's price and old Duane will slither in to the rescue.

Latest resources

Back