• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Pilots don't check for frost on wings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bottom line is that there was not a d*mn thing wrong with that aircraft. Years ago we had guys taking off in snowstorms, after sitting on the ground over an hour after having been de and anti-iced without even turning on the friggin engine anti-ice system and they crash killing a bunch of people. Or others taking off with snow covering the whole wing and crash and kill a bunch of people.

So what do we have to do these days? We are getting aircraft who's performance wouldn't be affected at all, de and anti-iced for a few snowflakes falling out the air even when it's so cold the flakes are blowing off the wing like dandelion seeds. How many times have we shown up after a cold and windy night after having dry snow fall, and the whole plane is clear except a few shovels full of snow that accumulated at the wingroot and fuse fairing due to wind currents around the jet bridge and building, and we have to waste money and time de-icing over that BS. Fully knowing that isn't going to effect the performance of the aircraft in any way whatsoever. And by the time you taxi over to the deice pad, that few shovels full of snow is now about one shovel full, hanging on for dear life on the last foot or so of flap. And since most places don't let you do wings and tail, the whole friggin airplane which is as clean as a whistle, except for 1 square foot of flap area has to be deiced. Now that makes a lot of sense doesn't it? A clear example of taking safety to the extremes.

Yet the regionals will not only continue to hire 300 hour pilots, they will lobby congress to keep the 1500/500 proposal for new hires from coming to fruition. This industry never ceases to amaze me.

Well I have no idea what your reply has to do with my comment. I will say that you nor I weren't there and to state that there "was not a da*m thing wrong with that aircraft" is flat out conjecture on your part (and if you were in that aircraft staring out that window then I stand corrected). I merely stated and factually so that Delta did the right thing and checked it out. I'm going to assume their FOM states no taking flight with frost ON TOP of the wings.

Just for future reference, HOT WATER works great when by 0630 the temp was well abouve freezing.

Now that is funny.

You were flying on a major airline, not JimBobs Flying Service. Do you really think the pilot can walk out to the wing and splash it with some hot water? The FAA would go bat $hit you ding dong.

You were provided a seat and got to partake in the miracle of flight. Sorry that safety inconvenienced you.

UALRATT (you and yuppyguppy need to take a chill pill) are we really having a pissing match about who can check ice from where...I think bottom line this comes down to a personal preference of the PIC and IAW company policy and aircraft limitations.

Honestly my opinion is, if a PAX says ice/frost/whatever is on the wing...I am going to sit on the ground until the ice/frost/whatever is melted, because it is a ton easier to explain a 30 minute delay while taxiing out to wait for some frost to melt than to answer to the FAA and Chief Pilot two weeks later when the one passenger wrote a letter to the FAA and the airline about you departing with frost on the wing.

I actually had a situation in BDL where we were cleared into position and hold while a king air took off from the crossing runway, once he was through the intersection we were cleared for takeoff, immediately after our takeoff clearance the king air declared an emergency and they were coming back to the field, tower canceled our clearance and asked us to vacate the runway, which we did...the engines were spooled up but we didn't need to hit the brakes to clear the runway. King air returned, landed and we took off...two weeks later I get a call from the Chief Pilot asking about a runway incursion in BDL and was wondering why I almost took off without clearance...turns out a private pilot wrote a letter to the FAA and the company (actually to Delta it was a DAL Connection flight) and said we took the runway without clearance and almost took off without clearance...luckily it was a matter of the company calling BDL tower and they got the tapes which proved otherwise, but nevertheless not a fun situation to be in.

Thanks Mike but I did take one before I posted cause I really had to...

Is this still a thread? i won't be catching up to it- but i remember the 1st post. It really ... really was not worth 6 pages... i hope it was hijacked

Now that is funny.

You were flying on a major airline, not JimBobs Flying Service. Do you really think the pilot can walk out to the wing and splash it with some hot water? The FAA would go bat $hit you ding dong.

You were provided a seat and got to partake in the miracle of flight. Sorry that safety inconvenienced you.

Before you call someone a ding dong do some research, the FAA does approve the use of Hot Water for de-icing, I have their manual, if you are interested, I can e-mail you a copy, its 122 pages long and clearly states that the FAA approves the use of Hot Water as a de-icing method, the point taken here is that DAL does not allow the use of Hot Water to remove frost, that is now understood.

I also doubt that in their SOP's it says that the use of the Sun is a legal option to de-ice, the FAA would go bat $hit over that one you ding bat, my point is why not go out and look for yourself rather than relying on some passenger's view, I think that is what the poster was trying to say, it seems that the crew did not take that intiative, if they did, maybe it was nothing out there, and they could have left on time

I also doubt that in their SOP's it says that the use of the Sun is a legal option to de-ice, the FAA would go bat $hit over that one you ding bat, my point is why not go out and look for yourself rather than relying on some passenger's view, I think that is what the poster was trying to say, it seems that the crew did not take that intiative, if they did, maybe it was nothing out there, and they could have left on time

I believe that is/was the procedure for SWA in LAS prior to the snow that spanked them. And it is approved by the FAA, btw.

Latest resources

Back