• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta off the runway again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hell, Northwest used to go off the end of the runway 1-2 times every winter in TVC and nobody made a big deal about it.

Only difference is the water at the end of the runway in LGA and the large earthen berm. Could have been much worse with a fuel leak and fire. Still glad no one was hurt. I don't wish that on anyone.

There's EMAS there Red...probably would not have been as dramatic as you described

With the nose of the MD-80 hanging out over the water? Yea, you had another 80 feet and the whole plane would have been a submarine.

I guess the double breasted jacket would have really been appropriate at that point.

Wow Red...somebody debates you like an adult and you fall back into Petulent child mode again.

Know anything about that stuff at the end of the runway?

With the nose of the MD-80 hanging out over the water? Yea, you had another 80 feet and the whole plane would have been a submarine.

I guess the double breasted jacket would have really been appropriate at that point.

Wow Red...somebody debates you like an adult and you fall back into Petulent child mode again.

Know anything about that stuff at the end of the runway?

I think you guys may be having two different arguments. Red was talking about the recent LGA off-runway incident, where the MD-80 went off the side of the runway and rested on the embankment with the nose just over the water. Until they start lining both sides of a runway with EMAS, it's not gonna' help in this particular type of situation.

Bubba

Scroll up Bubba....he was making reference to water at the end of the runway and I referenced EMAS and how his dramatic story wouldn't be one with that stuff there.

Bill,

I'll back up a little. I was actually defending Delta in my first post about NW going off runways frequently in TVC. It was never a big deal and this seemed to get more attention. Because it was LaGuardia instead of Traverse City maybe? More media etc. You get the point.

Emas in LGA vs. none in TVC. Not really my point.

Try to relax, I didn't mean anything bad. Don't be hardwired to bitch because I'm SW. It's all good brother.

Bill,

Does it look like there might have been a system failure ALONG with a runway that was more contaminated? Serious question.

Flew commuters in the '80s and knew that when landing on 13, once you passed the intersection of 4/22 and R, the standing water would cause the A/C to hydroplane. Used to land wing low as opposed to landing with a crab. Common knowledge for the day.
Curious how the wing low stopped better than crab. Not disputing, just wondering.

Latest resources

Back