• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta off runway at CMH

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My last experience going into CMH, full 737-800, snowing, down to RVR measurments, braking action reports in effect, controller tries to slam dunk us to the 10L (the shorter north runway).

Negative, we want 10R. Controller says unable. We go around. My next response is we would like to hold until 10R IS available. Magically 10R becomes available. So glad we insisted on the longer runway. Airport conditions were crap.

The moral of the story is sometime we as pilots push ourselves too much to accommodate the controllers. I'm not saying this is the cause of the current event, but it did look wet and everyone who flies the 737 NG knows what a runway hog it is.

Well played, good post.
Obviously it's safe to say this could happen to anyone. When you are very near minimum runway and surface limitations it doesn't take much to put you on the wrong side of the safety margin. A slightly higher gust and an unexpected slippery spot can come together at just the wrong time.

Thanks. The difference is that this thread would run 12+ pages if it was a SWA jet.

Well......do you think that may be because everyone has a story of a SWA crew taxing like a bat at of hell to try and cut in front of someone else or do you think everyone just picks on you?

Well......do you think that may be because everyone has a story of a SWA crew taxing like a bat at of hell to try and cut in front of someone else or do you think everyone just picks on you?

Well Dan-o, why don't you answer your own question? Your response would likely be highly representative of the sentiments of many around here....as steeped in obsolete cliches as they may be.

when I flew out of CMH (actually during one of their worse winters on record) on the A320 I had the misfortune to be slammed in on more than one occasion by their overly noise crazy ATC, and after the first lesson learned (interestingly while on IOE), I later began to use the little used term "unable" quite a bit more frequently with those controllers... one of the best parts of flying with my favorite captain.... I wish more captains learned that short word, it would save a lot of us from pucker factor approaches and the occasional "incident"

Remember, if pilots and airplanes didn't exist, there would be NO ATC.... if on the other hand no ATC existed, there still could be air travel... it may not be as safe, but it is proof that they're here for us, not us for them.

Delta Flight 1170 came to rest along the side of the north runway on the western side of the airport near the NetJets building shortly before 6:30

Ya know, if the Captain is getting close to retirement and wanted to introduce himself for a post-retirement gig, we still have 495 on furlough...and there are better ways to put in a resume.

Jusssss sayin'

Seriously, glad nobody got hurt.

Latest resources

Back