Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta merger? Only if Lee Moak says so...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gee whiz, General, despite all this "shrinking" it seems to me that we have never furloughed a single pilot. In fact, our seniority list has GROWN over the last 7 years. Prior to last year, when DAL started hiring, how has yours done?

As for not giving away scope "without a judge looking over him", why did'nt that stop the two scope concessions PRIOR to the BK? And what makes you think DAL won't just file BK again if you don't give them what they want. They're already 'saying $3 jet fuel "wasn't in the reorganization plan".

ASA has never had to furlough because people are bailing out of there as fast as they can. For awhile, you couldn't find anyone with more than 300 hours worth of experience to hire as FO. That says something. Also, a company cannot just file BK because the shareholders would lose all of the value of the stock, and could sue management. It had better be a real reason to go BK, or the management could be in trouble, and if a company goes BK enough times, a BK judge might not let it out of BK, and instead liquidate it. You didn't know any of this? Wow. We also have over $5 billion in cash.

Bye Bye--General Lee

ASA has never had to furlough because people are bailing out of there as fast as they can. For awhile, you couldn't find anyone with more than 300 hours worth of experience to hire as FO. That says something. Also, a company cannot just file BK because the shareholders would lose all of the value of the stock, and could sue management. It had better be a real reason to go BK, or the management could be in trouble, and if a company goes BK enough times, a BK judge might not let it out of BK, and instead liquidate it. You didn't know any of this? Wow. We also have over $5 billion in cash.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hey GL,

My dad is bigger than your dad!

If the stock continues to fall, Skybus might just buy them

Delta's stock has been fairly stable, around the $20 mark, going up or down with fuel prices. Other airlines have dropped up to 50%. And, Skybus is doing very poorly, and have pulled out of several West Coast cities to save on fuel costs.

Good try 9rj9. How is the Age 65 rule going to affect UPS? I think you will stick to the allnight runs (vs the day flights out of SDF) for a long time. Ah, that isn't too bad for your health, is it? Have fun with that.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I think that most of our peers would agree that only a complete and utter jerk would wish (and even cheer for) a fellow pilot to lose his position, or even job. Clearly you've never faced such. In fact, I'll wager that you've never fought for anything... you've had it handed to you on a silver platter your whole life.

Well, my last name is GATES.

Why would a REGIONAL airline have limits on regional planes?

Actually, we do now the have a clause binding the holding company to ASA pilots contract. This scope prevents them from farming out flying out to say, a Colgan, or even SkyWest without taking the pilots. But I wouldn't expect you to have researched that before running your mouth.

How are you doing in ATL? Nevermind.

And you overflow with glee at that notion. Just remember, Karma is a bitch. Oh, btw, tell us how many ASA pilots have lost their jobs due to a reduction in force in the history of ASA (hint: it's a round number).

Karma? I guess you never heard about our DL furloughs? I was not, but I knew plenty and I always looked out for their best interests. Ask Comair about their KARMA---how are they doing these days after they wouldn't help our furloughed pilots and wanted more CR7s. I know ASA helped us out, and a lot of you have been hired here now. Throw in your APP John.

What about the concessions pre-bankruptcy? What short term memory you guys have. Does that big metal triangle on your forehead interfere with the brain waves or something?

Like we had a lot of choice before going into BK. You usually try to stay out of BK if you can. Everyone took cuts.

Yes, I fecall the "United plus!" bumper stickers. How did that work out for you?

You better believe it. We always want to be United PLUS. Doesn't that sound like a good plan to you? I think so.

Let's see... you were the highest paid airline pilots in the world... for about a year and a half. Then you gave two concessions, but your company still went bankrupt, and then you gave back more thaq you had in 2000 before the contract. Yeah, good move DALPA.

When Leo Mullin bought $2 billion worth of Delta stock in a buy back program two weeks before 9-11 and the stock slump, I actually remember telling him personally that was a bad idea. He didn't listen. But, of course, you think it was all our fault.... Riight.

So Scope is NOW a big issue? Guess it wasn't before since everybody and his brother is flying a 76 seat jet with a lazy (laying down) and embarrassed (red) Widget on the tail.

I think the new paint scheme looks good. But, you are the fashion guru who loves to dance. Thanks Heidi Klum. How's Seal?

Let's discuss those pay rates. Why don't you post them for us. Then everyone can see that they're below the rates of several DCI carriers for that airframe, including ASA. And I thought MESA were the hos of the industry. Way to go General!!!

You have to start somewhere, and since we don't have those planes as of yet, we might be able to change those rates in our next contract talks, starting in 09. You never know, but it really is doubtful you will see a 90 or 100 seater. Really. Wait, USAir is hiring on the E190.

Uh huh. And you'll be flying them for less than we currently fly CRJ-700s. Enjoy! That is if you're not too good to fly a "Barbie jet", like you were in the 90s when you gave them up.

We got the rates for a reason. We are waiting until Delta asks for them, and then we will remind them of the rates. Really.

Gee, thanks for telling me what to worry about, Dad. I have a theory that you wouldn't speak to me the way you do if you met me in person. You're nothing but a big mouthed [metaphor for a cat] who is short on facts, and long on opinion. And I guarantee you got your lunch money stolen in high school. Now you're a Big Man because you assist a captain in flying a B767ER. And the truly funny thing is that you think anybody is impressed when you brag about it. Guess that's all you have in your life... oh, sorry, I forgot about the mail order Ukrainian bride.

I am your Dad? You are grounded for life---wait, you are a lifer at ASA, you already are!

Bye Bye--General Lee

Bye Bye--General Lee

See, General, more proof that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

ASA's attrition didn't spike until about a year and a half ago when the legacies began hiring. Before that, attrition was almost nil. We never even furloughed after 9/11, we actually GREW because we were given YOUR routes. Why do you think that was?

Regarding the 300 hour pilots, that began less than a year ago, not "for awhile".

Regarding BK? They already did it once!! Delta had 5 bil in cash before the last bk, and they managed to write it all off. Their accountants are very smart, and can justify whatever course management wants. I know it's hard to believe but there are people in the world smarter than a Delta Pilot.

See, General, more proof that you don't know what the hell you're talking about.

ASA's attrition didn't spike until about a year and a half ago when the legacies began hiring. Before that, attrition was almost nil. We never even furloughed after 9/11, we actually GREW because we were given YOUR routes. Why do you think that was?

Regarding the 300 hour pilots, that began less than a year ago, not "for awhile".

Regarding BK? They already did it once!! Delta had 5 bil in cash before the last bk, and they managed to write it all off. Their accountants are very smart, and can justify whatever course management wants. I know it's hard to believe but there are people in the world smarter than a Delta Pilot.

Thanks Jim Cramer for that financial report. Wow. BTW, we were within 2 weeks of not paying payroll in the BK process. Now we do have $5 billion in cash though. Keep trying.

Bye Bye--General Lee

The Delta Pilots had little to do with killing the merger. Their role was no larger than any of the other Delta employee groups. What really killed the merger was Grinstein and Delta management's brilliant "Keep Delta My Delta" campaign, coupled with lobbying the BOD and Stakeholders to trust them.
But Delta pilots are Delta employees, the only large organized group of employees, and facing a merger with US Air, were motivated.

Shareholder trust is an important factor. Remember Bob Arnold's threat?

Bob - "Who would want to buy an airline with labor problems?":cartman:
Skip - "We have labor problems?":erm:
Bob - "We could" :)

The pilots have to ratify at several stages of the merger and integration process. There are a couple of points where the RLA allows us to hold management over a barrell. The US Air debacle is not exactly a road map to success. They are becoming a marginalized player.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back