• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Jumpseat Policy Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, actually it is early afternoon. I have got to get into the "allnighter" frame of mind....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Long trip in an RJ.....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Hello General Lee, and Russ, and everyone,

I am the jumpseat chairman at SkyWest and may be able to set a few things straight [hopefully without picking any fights].

First, I worked HARD and diligently to allow UAL/DAL [CAL was another matter] pilots to occupy the cockpit on ANY SkyWest flight [excluding IAH based flights] with a phone call to our CS person working in the dispatch office. The matter of a phone call is simple and either sides employmant can be verified via the computer in that office. However, Mr. Tom Penland of the FAA in Washington DC has interpreted one of TSA's latest SD's to PROHIBIT employment verification via phonecalls [even though there is a computer on the other end of the phone]. Therefore, ALL of my efforts to get a DAL pilot on a UAX cockpit were for not. On a quick side note, priority would have remained within the paint scheme [i.e. DAL pilots have priority over UAL pilots on Delta Connection and vice versa]

With regards to SkyWest pilots and interflying [switching hats]....we do this all the time. Sometimes within the same trip. In fact my line this month has me flying to DFW with a SAT overnight then the next day switching hats and flying in and out of ORD. Also, I have worked with CAL and we have come to an agreement to allow ALL skywest pilots cockpit access on CAL domestic flights [we have a special number just for CAL jumpseating only]. The added benefit afforded IAH crewmembers is the travel benefits for their families[they do not get those on UAL, not sure about DAL].

Now CASS.......SkyWest does not currently have a commitment from our management to pay for CASS. However, because the CASS is in a testing phase until April '05, we are excluded from participating anyway [non ATA carrier]. I am hopeful that we too will be participating in CASS by spring/summer of next year and then non of this cockpit access discussion will matter.

As to AA and SWA, SkyWest DOES have a reciprocal currently with SWA for unlimited cabin seats on any of their flights. We are in negotiations with AA for the same priveledge. The main reason we were given ANY consideration is because of our policy of allowing unlimited jumpseaters in our cabin. I DO think Delta's policy [and United's for that matter] of limiting jumpseats to the number of jumseats on the aircraft may hurt their position in gaining an unlimited jumpseat agreement with either AA or SWA [IMHO].
Hopefully I have cleared up a few of the things I saw being argued without resolution. I tried to remain nuetral on whose side is better or who "won". I have enjoyed flying in the cockpit of many a Delta flights and have always been treated VERY well [cockpit or otherwise]. Hopefully, delta pilots have found the same on any Skywest flight. I am sorry the intermixing of cockpit jumpseats didn't work out the way I had hoped. Hopefully CASS will change all that back to the way it should be.

Flyer2000,

Thanks for explaining your process and why the phone call method doesn't work. The initial reason I brought this up again was that my friend Russ started complaining about the Delta procedure, and I thought I would show him that even Skywest's jumpseat was not perfect. I think we both understand now that CASS is the way to go, and hopefully Delta's procedure with regard to the number of jumpseats in the cockpit allowing the number allowed in the back will eventually be changed. You would think that giving $1 billion a year for 5 years would have done the trick. Take care and any of you are welcome upfront with us.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I thought so.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back