• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta interview gouge

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
567 question psych test. Are they f'in crazy?

They should adopt my 4 point interview system or the one I'd have if I were king of airline hiring.

1. Shooting. Handgun at 15 yards, shotty at 20 yards and Rifle at 100. 3 shots each and all the holes have to hit the Frank Lorenzo shaped target.

2. Motorcycle ride. 10 mile course consisting of highway, back dirt roads, urban streets and texting soccer moms in SUVs.

3. There is a L-19 outside the hangar. Take me around the pattern 3 times, consisting of a touch and go, low pass and full stop (full stop within 500 feet).

4. A bourbon, a scotch and a beer. They better all be empty in 3 minutes while socializing with several females.

I think you may be onto something here. Better copyright/patent it before the big boys figger it out an claim it for their own

567 question psych test. Are they f'in crazy?

They should adopt my 4 point interview system or the one I'd have if I were king of airline hiring.

1. Shooting. Handgun at 15 yards, shotty at 20 yards and Rifle at 100. 3 shots each and all the holes have to hit the Frank Lorenzo shaped target.

2. Motorcycle ride. 10 mile course consisting of highway, back dirt roads, urban streets and texting soccer moms in SUVs.

3. There is a L-19 outside the hangar. Take me around the pattern 3 times, consisting of a touch and go, low pass and full stop (full stop within 500 feet).

4. A bourbon, a scotch and a beer. They better all be empty in 3 minutes while socializing with several females.

Good idea, way better than 'TMAAT when....'

Makes too much sense for the airlines though.

Whatever they do they should have to put 50 of their own pilots through their interview process. If they don't hire 90% then they should rethink their interview. I would love to see how many current mainline pilots pass the initial psych evaluation.

It is also hilarious when regional pilots who fly for the mainline carrier they are interviewing with don't get hired. Ok, so they are not acceptable to be in the right seat of a 737, but the left seat of an RJ with the same passengers is fine!

My dad hired a few hundred pilots for a airline flying heavies in the late 1980s. All he cared about was if you really liked airplanes and flying. You could have tons of experience and a PhD and flying for the money (the money was great at the airline in question), but he would hire the guy with a GED who loved flying and airplanes. He would have loved the L-19 idea and it would be cheaper than a sim check and so much more useful.

Scott

Last edited:
Offer the candidate lunch.

Steak dinner on one side of the table, plate full of Ramen noodles on the other.

See which side they sit down at.

Wow, I am shocked. Did Genital finally get the hint?

I would love to see how many current mainline pilots pass the initial psych evaluation.

I'd have to say that 100% of the current pilots would pass the psych eval...because 100% of them did.

They were giving it when I was hired in the early 70's, were giving it for some period prior to that and have given it for every wave of hiring since AFAIK.

Whether all that's really necessary is another question entirely.

I'd tend to side with your dad. When I see the organ grinder's monkey dance you guys have to go through these days, I just feel bad for you.

However, getting the job is life altering if you can endure the hurdles. If you're applying, best of luck.

All three legacies have a bunch of pilots to replace (if they intend to replace them all).

Mmmm someone needs to study the merger history of their own airline??

Actually, no...although the use of the word, "current", was sloppy language/context on my part.

I'm quite aware of that history: C&S, NE, WAL, PA, NW (and the carriers that made up NW)...maybe even more in the future. And, I know those merged pilots may or may not have been given psych evals when hired by their original airlines. That would have been outside DL's control.

However, my comment was to point out that when the branded entity, Delta, hires pilots under its corporate umbrella...they have been given the testing to which sstearns2 refers for as long as anyone can remember...and apparently will continue to be.

And while I think this testing is of debatable value, Delta happens to be the surviving carrier.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back