• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Delta Hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It allows them the ability to put off the hiring that was anticipated this fall until the NWA issues and SLI are worked out.
In essence it will keep the bottom of DAL's seniority list in the correct order until the completion of SOC.
I am sure you know what I am saying FDJ.

either that or it puts off the need to displace pilots from higher categories to cover that flying.

FDJ2,

Good information. Any news on NWA pilots being able to come over before SOC?

FDJ2,

Good information. Any news on NWA pilots being able to come over before SOC?

Interesting thought. I've heard unsubstantiated rumors about this. It would be an easy transition for DC-9 to MD-88. I think a number of NWA commuters would be interested in coming over. My only question is: when the DAL staffing model of pilots per aircraft becomes effective, wouldn't that leave NWA short on pilots?

Last edited:
It is temporary. I would assume that the initial training for ANYONE coming over to DAL would be a standard course.
Because of this it would be at the end of the first quarter before they would see anyone sitting in the seat. It takes about three months to get people checked out. Two is aggressive.

Interesting thought. I've heard unsubstantiated rumors about this. It would be an easy transition for DC-9 to MD-88. I think a number of NWA commuters would be interested in coming over. My only question is: when the DAL staffing model of pilots per aircraft becomes effective, wouldn't that leave NWA short on pilots?
This is why I'm curious about ALPA's take on this. The junior guys who get "furloughed" would at least temporailly get a better position than those senior to them.

The Indoc could, and probably will be, a CD. Last aircraft change for me was four weeks and three days from class to last leg of IOE. It can go very quickly if everything falls into place.

>> Conjecture and half baked analysis warning <<

If you take the fleet and the block hours and divide through by the number of pilots, NWA is over staffed. I also hear the "Delta staffing requirements" rumors, but with the changes to the NWA fleet the result remains the same because the real operational numbers seem to run higher than the minimum required numbers. At the minimum numbers the wheels fall off the operation ... and I'd bet the MD88 is going to be green slip city for the reserves in the beginning of 2009.

The NWA displacement bid which was cancelled, as well as the rumors of numbers which might be sorta-not-really-furloughed all correlate around 160 to 170 'ish.

The other variable is how many NWA pilots take, or are allowed to take, an early out. Will that be 100, or 400? It makes a big difference at the end of the stovepipe. My guess is that this eventual number will correlate to the fate of the Captain slots going forward on the 747's.

For the First Officers, this will shake out fine. For NWA's DC9 and 747 Captains it will be more interesting all the way around. Do they get displaced?

Last edited:
The Company and DALPA have just concluded a SLOA to adjust the MD88 F/O ALV in order to give the company short term relief due to an anticipate shortage of MD88 F/Os in the 1st quarter of 2009.

I sincerely hope DALPA is looking at the best of both worlds in the NWA and DAL contracts for eventual SLOA improvements. The NWA APA system of monthly entitlement awards for 4 months out has been a win/win for their ability to tweak schedules and staffing and our ability to plan our lives. We stopped the quarterly awards back in 98'. Ditto 10 day JS rules, call in honest, and some other choice bits.

This is why I'm curious about ALPA's take on this. The junior guys who get "furloughed" would at least temporailly get a better position than those senior to them.I may be thinking about this the wrong way, but if the DAL side needs pilots from the NWA side, wouldn't you think NWA pilots could bid on who gets to go? I'm thinking of it as a bid, you seem to think of it as a "furlough". A lot of NWA commuters would desire a DAL base. Am I looking at this wrong?

The Indoc could, and probably will be, a CD. Last aircraft change for me was four weeks and three days from class to last leg of IOE. It can go very quickly if everything falls into place.I agree.

>> Conjecture and half baked analysis warning <<

If you take the fleet and the block hours and divide through by the number of pilots, NWA is over staffed. I also hear the "Delta staffing requirements" rumors, but with the changes to the NWA fleet the result remains the same because the real operational numbers seem to run higher than the minimum required numbers. At the minimum numbers the wheels fall off the operation ... and I'd bet the MD88 is going to be green slip city for the reserves in the beginning of 2009.

The NWA displacement bid which was cancelled, as well as the rumors of numbers which might be sorta-not-really-furloughed all correlate around 160 to 170 'ish.

The other variable is how many NWA pilots take, or are allowed to take, an early out. Will that be 100, or 400? It makes a big difference at the end of the stovepipe. My guess is that this eventual number will correlate to the fate of the Captain slots going forward on the 747's.Only 50 perp were granted, but many more applied. No 747 or 330 pilots were granted a perp because we are short on both aircraft.

For the First Officers, this will shake out fine. For NWA's DC9 and 747 Captains it will be more interesting all the way around. Do they get displaced?

It will all work out fine, but it will be interesting to see our movement options.

P.S. our uniform memo today...what's better quality: Abbotts, M+H or the stop over store?

I sincerely hope DALPA is looking at the best of both worlds in the NWA and DAL contracts for eventual SLOA improvements. The NWA APA system of monthly entitlement awards for 4 months out has been a win/win for their ability to tweak schedules and staffing and our ability to plan our lives. We stopped the quarterly awards back in 98'. Ditto 10 day JS rules, call in honest, and some other choice bits.

Fly4hire,

You get what you get and that is whatever is in the contract. This was a reason I voted no on the joint contract. We didn't get enough low/no cost items. Our union said we couldn't get any more. I'm a commuter and I desperately wanted your call in honest policy. The answer I got from our union was that if we got it the company would have to give it to the flight attendants. I asked when we became the negotiating agent for the flight attendants. Additionally, if I understand correctly, you and the flight attendants at NWA have different call in honest policies. If you can do it there we should have been able to do it here.

Long story short we are stuck with what we got.

Latest resources

Back